Frugal Faux Wedding Cake

My fiance Ken and I just pushed up our wedding date from November 1st to October 5th. So we don't have a lot of time and most definitely not a lot of money. We just found out that Ken's son has enlisted in the Marines and will be leaving on October 17th.

One of the many ideas I have swimming inside my head was a how can we cut the cost of a wedding cake? So why not a fake 3 tier box cake and then have a sheet (real) cake in the back. The idea is to have a slot on the "cake" and have note cards for our guests to put their well wishes into or they can use it to put their wedding cards. This way we still have the feeling of a cake but not the expense. Here's what I did.

Materials:

• 1 (top) box, a wedding card box from the dollar store (what a lucky find!)
  • 1 (middle) box, a toy castle from the dollar store (this needed to be put together and was a little bit bigger)
  • 1 (bottom) box, a case of beer that holds bottles (not the one for cans)
  • 3 spools white wire ribbon, from dollar store
  • 15 yards cream tulle, from dollar store
  • 4 packs cream colored silk flowers, from dollar store
  • 3 white pull bows, from the dollar store
  • glue gun and pins
  • 4 x 4 square craft foam hollowed out at the top. This is to secure the wedding topper and is wrapped with netting.

Instructions:

Cover the beer box with white computer paper. Spray paint the toy castle box white. Stack the boxes according to size, I made sure the slot in the top box faces the front not up. This way I can put a wedding topper on the top. Take tulle and start wrapping snugly from the bottom up until you get a nice smooth look. You also want to cover the top with ribbon the tulle after you get the slot in the box. Kinda play with it a bit to make sure it's all even.

Take the white wire ribbon and wrap around the bottom of the each box and secure with glue gun. I took the silk flowers and put them in the middle of the bottom tier and on the center tier, I found this wonderful ribbon that had our favorite colors in it and centered that on the center tier.

I cascaded the pull bows on each tier. Next to the top bow I'll have our cake topper that has our initials on it and in each bow I'm going to have 2 little charms with my kids names on it and the other bow I'll have 2 little charms with Ken's 2 kids initials on it also. This is our third time around for both of us. :-)

Excellent idea, very smart!

What a great Idea and how beautiful it is

I too was marred 3 times and the 3rd was a charm :) we had 28 wonderful years together

May God be with your Marine and bring him home safety

Check out this site for all kinds Fake Food, Faux Drinks, and Fake Cakes!

www.auntbubbiesfakefood.com

White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Weddings DecorationsAugust 10, 2008
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Faux Cake
Making a Faux Cake
🎉
🎄