What Makes Hairspray Strong?

What ingredients make hairspray strong?

By Destinee from El Paso, TX

Hairsprays are basically water soluble glues with an aerosol propellant, some add fragrance, shine enhancers, conditioners, etc. The type of "glue" is what creates hold.

Anonymous

Polymers which are most often based on acrylate, acetate, methyl vinyl ether/maleic anhydride, PVP, or other copolymers.

Word of caution! Although the various polymers, acrylates, and other 'fixatives' are used, they are extremely

dangerous to inhale, so should anyone think they are not, they can prove first to cause chemical pneumonia, then cancer and death. I've had many cosmetologist friends that this happened to. Many of the stronger polymer-ridden hairsprays have been converted to pumps, rather than be combined with the pungent/ deadly aerosols as well in pressurized spray cans. Often the aerosol used is formaldehyde, a poison used to embalm the dead!

Since the subject came up, I knew you'd all want to have this information to consider. Use strong-holding hairsprays

with plenty of ventilation and consider a pump always over a canned aerosol. God bless and help you. " -"

Anonymous

Lyndagayle62, God Bless you for the extra information you gave here! I was a hairstylist for 35 years and my parents were too! I was in my mom's womb when she was in beauty school! I now have Emphysema from chemicals and pollutants including hairspray, perms and hair color chemicals! I'll add one more non-related caution on this post and that is the noise from even as simple as blow dryers. My hearing is also impaired now from the constant high pitch. Be kind to your hairstylists because they pay a high price for your nicely coiffed hair. ;-)

You don't want to know.