Homemade Egg Noodles

• 7 whole eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • large pinch of baking powder
  • yellow food coloring
  • flour

Mix eggs and water with a fork. Add oil and baking powder. Add yellow food coloring to desired color. Stir in flour until stiff. Roll to desired thickness. Cut and dry on towel.

I make all our own noodles for everything, don't buy them. For a 1 1/2 gal stock pot of soup (my usual use) I would use 4 eggs, 1 tsp powdered boullion (choose chicken or beef flavor for menu enhancement).

Beat eggs, boullion and then start to add flour until getting stiff. Amount of flour varies, So figure approximately 3/4 cup to each egg used. I have never used anything other than white wheat flour. Other flours can be used, just growing up in farmland, you bake/cook and eat from the area crops.

Tip out onto floured kneeding board, work it like bread dough folding, pressing, kneeding all flour in until texture wanted and not sticky.

I cut dough into workable sections, making the surface about dinner plate size. If your noodle choice is for small fine noodles, cut dough into sections. Longer noodles desired, keep full sized.

If I am feeding more children than adults, or older adults, they appreciate the smaller sized noodle. I use the pizza wheel for the fastest method. Flip cut noodles into a small strainer to shake off excess flour. Pop the noodles into the hot broth/soup cooking.

I dicovered when doing soup batch for 100 people I par-boiled the noodles by dumping a couple cups of cut noodles into boiling water for 2 minutes, strain them out and go with the next 2 cups. It assured me that the soup would not thicken more than I had made it in the first place.

Noodles were the first things my sisters and I learned to cook at a preschool age. This was also the first things my granddaugthers were taught as well. At ages 6 + 2, they are very good noodle makers.

I have a noodle cutter, the hand crank type, will use if I make small amounts. Process and recipe would be the same. Only takes smaller sections of dough and follow machine instructions.

Besides use for soup, you can make them, cook them in an herbed boiling water, toss with EVOO or your favorite sauce and eat. This is one of the basic things you can do with the simplest of ingredients.

If I am not making them for soup, I omit the boullion and use about 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt.

Upclose photo of egg noodles.
Homemade Egg Noodles Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PastasSeptember 17, 2008
Pool Noodles
Uses for Pool Noodles
Homemade Noodles
Making Homemade Noodles
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Egg Salad
Making Egg Salad