Save on a YMCA Membership

I'd been reading a lot about the advantages of exercising in water, but felt my lack of access was an obstacle I couldn't overcome. Living in the Northeast, community pools are only open for a couple months a year. And, I wasn't sure how to fit a Y membership into my family's tight budget, especially since we don't actually qualify for a scholarship. (Never mind the more expensive health clubs with pools!) But ... guess what? The local Y is desperate for volunteers, and I was able to negotiate a free membership in return for volunteering some of my time. Now I can go to all the water aerobics and other fitness classes I like, as well as use their extensive facilities whenever I want!

I just thought I'd post this in case others were in similar situations. If you think you can't afford access to a pool (or other facility), call your local YMCA and talk with them. Different departments may even yield different results; the deal I hoped to negotiate wasn't available through the general Y contact person, but *was* possible through the Aquatics Department specifically. Who knows? In return for a little of your time--about 3 hours a week for me--you may be able to get a free membership, too!

By Sterghe from Pennsylvania

I'm from PA also. What a great tip! I sure hope it works for us.

YMCAs are not supposed to do that. Its called "de facto employment" and they're supposed to be paying payroll taxes on it - and you're supposed to be paying income tax on it.

It was one of the first things that was discussed at business training for the YMCA. You can give a membership as a gift to a dedicated volunteer, but they can't be working to get it. Make sense?

-Speaking as a former YMCA Business Manager.

Photo of young volunteers.
Volunteering in Your Community
Health & Beauty Fitness Fitness ClubsApril 28, 2008
Couple Stretching on Grass
Saving Money On Fitness
Organized Dumbells
Organizing Fitness Equipment
A woman shopping at a warehouse store.
Getting the Most Out of Your Warehouse Membership