Indulge in a Snack Meal

My children have always enjoyed snacks and would gladly eat them for a meal if I would allow it. Occasionally I do indulge them in a snack lunch or dinner and they think they are really getting a big treat!

I use a 6 cup muffin tin. I place different food items in each of the holes. This is a good way to use up small amounts of food that are not enough to actually feed one person. I often include sandwiches cut into quarters or eights or some exotic shape (star, circle, etc.), cubed cheese from the left over end of a block of cheese, grapes, cut up apples, mandarin oranges, mini-carrots and (maybe) dip, chips and salsa, cheez its, "trail mix" made up of the leftovers at the bottom of the bag (cereal mix or salty snacks combined). pretzels, lunch meat rolled up and skewered with pretzels, M and M snack mix (M and M's, raisins, pretzels, mini-marshmallows), popcorn and the like. You can tailor it to each child's individual preference and it also allows portion control (after all - you can only fit so many chips in the muffin tin!)

My kids think they have hit the jackpot, it allows me to use up small volumes of food that might otherwise go to waste and it is a fun, nutritious meal. My children are 17 and 10 and they still ask for a snack lunch from time to time. This is also a great treat for sleepovers!

By Diana from Prospect, KY

I think this is a great idea! Most especially when the kids are going through their fussy spells. Making a snack pack style meal can get them to eat a balanced meal. Thank you for sharing.

This is the perfect *meal* for those times when a doctor-trip or some other in-the-car day lasts too long...not the perishables of course, but I can see keeping back the ends of some treats to put in a muffin tin when you aren't going to get back home for a while. As far as the snack lunch or snack supper...I love it, in fact I may have to manufacture a reason. Thank you.

I think it's a great idea. My mom always was able to use up leftovers for another dinner. This is great for adults too. My parents are unable to do much cooking now and when us daughters go to help them out with meals and such, making a ready to grab snack tray is perfect for when we arn't there. Thanks so much

Take Out Containers in Refrigerator
Using Leftovers
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 17, 2009
Cheese and Tomato Snack
Cheese Snack Ideas
Snack Mix
Snack Mix Recipes
Couple in a grocery store.
Shopping At Ethnic Food Stores
Preparing a Passover Meal
Preparing a Passover Meal