Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Kerosene Smells From Clothing

How do I remove kerosene odor from cotton clothing?

By margob from Elkins, WV

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Kerosene Smells From Clothing

My partner was using kerosene on pistons while rebuilding a car engine and now his clothes smell of kerosene. Can anyone help? Natural products preferred please.

Thank you.
LAMBCHOP from Western Australia

RE: Removing Kerosene Smells From Clothing

I don't know if you have Borateem or borax in the grocery in Australia, but that is what I use to get gas out of my husband's clothes. It also helps to dry them outside, sometimes for a few days. Use 1/2 cup borax, the usual amount of soap, and the hottest water you can use. (09/15/2006)

By Carla B.

Try rubbing baking soda into the fabric. And put vinegar into the wash and rinse. (09/17/2006)

By JMRoss

Thanks for the replies. I have found eucalyptus oil to do the job really well. Place 5-10 ml in your fabric dispenser. Fill up with water to full level and wash as usual. The smell of kerosene is gone for good. (09/30/2006)

By LAMBCHOP