Starting a Hibiscus from Seeds - Categories:

AdviceGardening

Starting a Hibiscus from Seeds

I am looking for advice for growing Hardy Hibiscus seeds that I have saved since last year. I would also like advice for caring for Hardy Hydrangea that I planted last year. I know nothing about Hibiscus and Hydrangea. Any advice you can share will be much appreciated. Thanks.

By BJ from MO

Answers

March 25, 2010 Flag

Can hibiscus plants be started from seeds? This is the first year that I have had a hibiscus. It is beautiful and had over 100 beautiful blooms. I brought it in the house and set it under a sky light in the bathroom. It finally stopped blooming. There are seed pods that fall from the plant. Can I start some seedlings from that? If so how do I do that? Should I prune the plant now? Thank you.

By Carole from Port Huron, MI

Answers:

Starting a Hibiscus from Seeds

Seeds can be planted in a commercial seed starting medium or a mix can be made out of some combination of sand, perlite, vermiculite and Canadian peat. The seeds are planted 1/4 to 1/2" deep in the mixture and should germinate in a week to a month on average. It is best to keep the temperature about 80 to 85° F (about 28° C) and the medium moist, but not soggy. A heat mat to provide bottom heat is helpful.

Until you have found out what works best for you, the seed starting kits that are available in gardening stores and catalogs that use small plastic cells may be the best way to start -- one seed per cell. Some have used Styrofoam coffee cups with drainage holes poked in the bottoms and 100% perlite to start their seedlings. Some plant several seeds in 4" pots. Putting the pots/cups, etc. in trays with clear domes and starting under lights can give them a head start.

It is absolutely essential that you do not use too much water. Seeds will rot and will not germinate if they stay in a wet/soggy medium.

After the seedlings have developed several sets of true leaves and the stems have begun to harden and become woody, they may be moved to a larger pot. A water soluble 20-20-20 fertilizer can be used per label directions at this point. Some growers will move these 3 or 4" tall seedlings to a gallon plastic pot containing potting soil, others will move their seedlings up in several stages to gallon pots and use soil-less mixtures.

Some growers plant their young seedlings in the ground in their own bed. (Always avoid disrupting the plant and its roots as much as possible in these moves.) These small seedlings should be gradually introduced to sun over several days. Remember they are tender, so avoid temperatures in the 40s. Good luck. (11/17/2009)

By kffrmw88

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMarch 25, 2010
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
How To Start Tomato Seeds
Starting Tomato Seeds
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Starting a Hibiscus from a Cutting
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 9:57:14 PM on 10.0.0.111 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.