Puppies Have Soft Stool

I have 5 week old puppies that I have raised with their mother. The thing is the mother is not cleaning their bottom and they are constantly poopy. I have just put them on dry dog food but they still nurse off of there mom. I don't understand why their stools aren't hardening? Any suggestions?

By shimamom from Spokane, WA

You may be giving them dry dog food too soon if the mother is still nursing her pups. Any change in diet will create runny stools.

I found an answer for you on this site....I hope it helps...

Racer

http://answers.  419174237AA4ILNu

The mother will slowly stop nursing her puppies to wean them. At that time, is when I usually used baby cereal watered down with milk. Then, I would add some dogfood also softened with milk on a pie plate so they could "get use to " thicker food. I thought of it as a process to get their bellys ready for adult food. As the mother doesn't let them nurse as long as she used to, the puppies are wanting more and adjusted quite well at the change. Have you wormed the puppies? Most puppies have worms from their mothers milk. They should be wormed 3 times in the first 6 weeks. Although I remember their stool was always soft. This is what I did with our dalmation puppies several years ago. Hope this helps you.