Keeping Cats Away From Houseplants

How can I keep a cat away from my houseplants?

By Pamela from Shreve, OH

I've done couple of things that worked for me. On very large pots I have covered the soil with river rocks and glass stones from the craft store or outside. they look pretty too. I also put clear packing tape in a criss cross pattern to cover the whole top of the pot (leave spaces for watering). it even holds when cats walk on it, no harm done. I have heard that pinecones are good to use to cover the soil, but havent tried it. Smaller pots I simply cut out cardboard circle, whole in the middle and cut a slit in it , when put it around the soil to cover it.

I place a citrus scented car airfreshner near or in my houseplants. I was desparate. I have not had a problem since.

My calico was eating my plants. I tried Febreze, and air fresheners to keep her away. Then I saw the Purina cat food just for indoor cats, and I got that, have been feeding that to her for over a month now, and she has completely stopped eating my plants. There is something in that food that satisfies their urge to chew on plants,if they were inside-outside cats, they would chew grass to get it out of their systems. But my Isabell is inside only, but let me tell you, this stuff works! And it is no more expensive than the regular Purina cat chow. Try it!

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Put a few orange,lemon or lime peels around the base of the plant. No more worries. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

I've got a problem with my cat laying in the citrus - I've got a lemon and an orange tree, and every time I leave for work, he's in them.