Trick or Treat Gifts Instead of Candy

We get a lot of trick or treaters in my subdivision. I'd like to give them something other than candy, which they get plenty of elsewhere. I want it to be something they'll like. Does anyone have an idea or something they've done before that pleased the little ones?

Kelly from Dallas

One year I gave out the plastic Halloween rings...you could check the birthday section in Walmart and get something in bulk to give out...

we give out school supplies like pencils erasers small boxes of crayons, glue,etc

All of the above sound great. Although I don't do Halloween anymore, in the past I have given out pencils, stickers, etc. Another idea is to give out coupons that alot of the fast food restaurants sell now. You can buy a book for about $5.00 and items vary. It could be a pack of fries, a small ice cream, etc. depending on what place you purchase the book from. I think this helps parents out that don't like to see the kids getting alot of candy, and it gives the kids something to look forward to.

One year I handed out a combination of little trinkets I had around the house - pencils, keychains, charms and so on. Plus pennies. It was a good way of emptying the junk drawer.

This year we ordered tattoos and stickers from Oriental Trading Company. (www.orientaltrading.com) They are very cheap. 72 tattoos for under $5 and 100 stickers on a roll were under $3.

We have also given out freezer pops in the tubes. I'm not sure what they're called but very cheap and the kids loved them. Freeze them and pull them apart before you start, if you're in a hurry and try to pull them apart when thawed you can make a heck of a mess.

We also clear out the Happy Meal toys collected throughout the year that were duplicated or 'for boys'.

Might be a little more costly, but I think it's a great idea to give some type of drink, like the little juice boxes or pouches (usually 10 for about $2). Maybe you could come up with another alternative, depending on what's available in your area. I remember it being a great TREAT as a kid when a local man who worked for Pepsi handed out a can drink to each of his Trick or Treaters! Helped wash down all those good munchies!

popcorn balls,friut roll ups,granola bars,trial size cereal.

Try Oriental Trading. You can get lots different of trickets in bulk for next to nothing. I'm pretty sure they have a website too

Anna, NYC

Hi Kelly,

We give the small bags of potato chips. The kids love them.

Our neighbor came over with their children before they went to town for the occassion and I handed out toothbrushes and small tubes of toothpaste to each one. I made popcorn balls and oatmeal cookies for them. For baby, a jar of baby fruit/veggie/canned fruit as baby was too young for candy. The parents loved the special treat.

Tons of great ideas! I especially like the school supplies and coupons.

Try orientaltrading.com. I got stencil bookmarks for CHEAP!!

http://www.orientaltrading.com/appl ... p;Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

I got stuff for my two kids to take to school for Halloween, Birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's Day, plus a couple of fun things for $60.00, so because I was registered with their website, I got free shipping!!

Also, some friends of mine give out Shasta orange soda pop just to be different.

Walmart has tons of goodies! Fun Halloween versions of pretzels, animal crackers, pencils, straws, microwave popcorn and even cheetos! There is plenty of good things to give besides candy!

I have tried over the years to collect small toy and school items after other holidays when they are 75% to 90% off, mostly at dollar general and family dollar. Walmart isn't so good with their sales anymore. Anyway they last for years because they aren't food.

Children out trick or treating
Trick-or-Treating Tips
Holidays and Parties Halloween MiscellaneousOctober 18, 2007
Cat Food Trick-or-Treat Bag
Making a Cat Food Trick-or-Treat Bag
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making Mummy Cupcakes
Trunk or Treat
Trunk or Treat Decorating Ideas
🎉
🎄