Easy Inexpensive Way To Clean Vintage Lamp Shade

I found a great vintage lamp with a very large shade at a thrift store recently. The shade is wavy, and is very yellow due to age, smoke etc. Can you give me some easy, inexpensive ways to clean the shade without ruining it. Please help. Thanks.

Barb from Crystal City, MO

You can gently vacuum the shade with a small attachment. This will get all the dust out. Or you can take the shade outdoors and dust with a soft, clean paint brush. The last suggestion I heard years ago. Take a large trash bag (or bag size suitable for your shade) add about a cup of salt, and shake vigorously. This will remove dust and dirt without handling. I have carefully washed shades in the tub with soap and water but if the shade is antique I would not recommend.

Maybe you could try the dry cleaning products that are on the market today. Also use a lint roller to dust the shade. Works great. ~Janette~

Have also heard of old-fashioned way of putting yellowed white things out in the sun to bleach them out.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousApril 9, 2008
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Uses for an Old Lamp, Old Lamp with Red Shade
Uses for an Old Lamp
Old Oil Lamp
Disposing of Lamp Oil Properly
Shade Tree
Shade Tree Recommendations
🎉
🎄