Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Has anyone had success getting rid of ground ivy (aka creeping charlie) in their lawn? Thanks.

By Grampy from Needham, MA

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie.

Question: Using Borax to Get Rid of Creeping Charlie

Does borax kill grass if spread on grass?

By Jim

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine05/09/2011

Using Borax is very chancy. If you use too much you could ruin your whole yard and it will be a very long time before you get any grass to grow. This is the only thing that works and even then you have to keep checking and reapply. I took this excerpt from "The Gardenweb" and the guy is right in what he says. I have so much yard, I couldn't keep it up myself because it was covered with it. So I had a service come in and now maybe I can get it under control. It is a nasty weed.

I have been reading your frustrations. I want to reiterrate my post from two years ago, and remind you how important timing is for attacking this weed. A couple of applications in late September/early October is the key to beginning to control this monster. Plus, if you use Weed B Gon max over whole yard at this time, you will have an amazingly clean yard the next spring.

Creeping Charlie or ground ivy is a particularly problematic weed because of the fact that it is resistant to a number of herbicides, but there are some very effective products available. (One of the things I am assuming here is that you want to control the creeping Charlie in your turf areas.) When searching for a herbicide look for products containing triclopyr. This includes Weed B Gon Purple, Weed B Gon Chickweed, and Weed B Gone Max. If you have other broadleaf weeds such as dandelion, Weed B Gon Max would be a great choice because it contains 4 active ingredients 2,4-D, which is very effective on dandelion, MCPP, dicamba, and triclopyr. The best time to apply your perennial weed control products for species such as creeping Charlie is in fall (October 1-15). At this time weeds will be going dormant and storing nutrients, and if you spray at this time the weed will actually store the herbicide, giving you the best control response. The second best time is in the spring right at and after creeping Charlie flowers.

I had the service come in the fall and I see very little of it this spring.

Question: Creeping Charlie

How do I get rid of creeping charlie in my lawn and gardens? It has a root system approximately every 6 inches and is taking over my lawn.

By Donna M

Question: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

How do you get rid of creeping charlie? Thanks.

By Linda L.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid Of Creeping Charlie Without Killing My Grass

My yard is full of a 'weed' called Creeping Charlie! Any idea how to get rid of it, without killing all of the grass? HELP!

Cathy (01/11/2005)

RE: Getting Rid Of Creeping Charlie Without Killing My Grass

I read in a magazine once that if you put beer on certain types of weeds in your yard it will kill it. I've not tried it myself, but it may be worth a try. (01/11/2005)

By TJo31well

You can choose between a "broadleafed" herbicide or one for grasses. The broadleafed herbicides will kill your weeds but will not harm your grass. Be sure the herbicide you choose is not for killing grass and you will be fine. (01/12/2005)

By jlxian

I was told by a nurserywoman that a 1/2 cup of Borax to 5 gal water will kill creeping charlie. Use a watering can to water the grass with this mixture. Give the borax time to disolve before using. (02/01/2005)

By Anonymous

http://www.mspmag.com/gardener.asp?date=12-13-2000&page=3 this site says using Borax isn't going to work because you can only use it 2 times a year for 2 years that's it no more or you risk making it so nothing will grow where you sprayed it. It suggest (april 11? 2001 note) 2 ways to rid your yard of this pest 1. pull it up EVERY BIT OF IT ot it'll start all over. Or 2. weed killer 4 times a year with out fail is suggest you check with a nursery on what kind to use. Hope this helps (02/18/2005)

By Tracy Bettendorf ia

Trimix is te stuff to use . Worked for me after many repeated applications (04/27/2005)

By Big Williw

Use the following mixture and applied after cutting your lawn in a spray bottle will remove creeping charlie Take a pinched Chewing tobacco wrapped in cloth placed in two cups of boiling water once dissolved remove and add two table spoons of molasses once the molasses is dissolved pour into a gallon container. Add one can of Beer and one can of non-cola sode (Sprite). Then pour a 12 or 16 oz container of dish soap (any brand) into the gallon. Spray after every cutting for a whole summer and it will remove the creeping charlie. (06/02/2005)

By PaulB0319

I woouldn't waste my beer LOL (05/14/2006)

By gosewisch

Iodized salt will kill creeping charlie. You have to be very carefull when mixing the salt with the right amount of water or the grass will be damaged also. When I applied the salt directly on the creeping charlie the next day it was dead and the ghrass wasn't hurt at all. (07/10/2006)

By Wiliam Pietschman

I'll need to try the salt with my bark areas...and save the beer for afterwards ;) (07/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Archive: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I don't know how to get rid of creeping charlie without killing what's left of my grass. This stuff is horrible. Please help me save my lawn.

I see my creeping charlie has survived the winter and is thriving nicely. I have pulled it over and over. It seems to make it grow better. I will not use chemicals, but have read that iodized salt will kill it. If so do you put it on straight or mix it with water? What is the mixing ratio?

By Michelle from Burlington, IA

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I was told by a nurserywoman that a 1/2 cup of borax to 5 gallons of water will kill creeping charlie. Use a watering can to water the grass with this mixture. Give the borax time to dissolve before using. Good luck. (03/13/2010)

By kffrmw88

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Borax does kill creeping charlie, but it has to be applied in exactly the right amount and not too often or you will have trouble. Here is just one link I found on it.

extension.umn.edu (03/19/2010)

By Laniegirl

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I really hate killing plants, can't you ask around to see if someone would dig them up for the taking? They make great hanging plants. We need to learn to share instead of killing off good plants. I take cuttings and start plants to give away. Great to swap also. Just my opinion.

Great Granny Vi (03/19/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

What is the best way to get rid of creeping charlie?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By Sue from Andover, MN

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I found the only thing that works (and the extension service says the same thing) is something with Triclopyr or 24D in it. I used a product called Pasture Pro. My son bought it at a farm supply store. Ortho Weed B Gon will work, also. I sprayed last fall twice and still have to do it this spring again. It says to wait till it gets done flowering. It got rid of 2/3 of it last fall and am hoping a couple more applications will control it. Here is a good site to go to where they discuss it. I would, however, stay away from the borax if someone suggests that. You will see why after reading on this site. forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/yarddoctor/msg0612033826424.html (05/11/2010)

By Laniegirl

RE: Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I think I have found something to get rid of creeping charlie. Check out my site. http://creepingcharlie.homestead.com/ (05/27/2010)

By 1Scotty5

I have creeping charlie that has consumed the back yard! Can I get rid of it without chemicals?