Organizing a Linen Closet

I need some help organizing my linen closet. it is JAM PACKED full of blankets (most of which we use because of frequent guest). It is very small and had about five shelves in it. Any suggestions?

Renee from AR

i organize my linen closet this way. i put all the sets that belongs toguether inside of one of the matching pillow cases, fold it and when you are looking for that set everything is neatly put inside ,you dont have to go crazy looking for all the matching pieces in different places.

How about getting some of those rubbermaid tubs or large plastic bags to store things in and put all the blankets in those? You could then store the containers somewhere else where you might have more room.

At work we put the blankets in a plastic (garbage) bag (be sure there are no holes) and use the vacuum to suck out all the air then tie the bag securely. Your blankets will be compressed so that they take up less space. This can also be done with clothes when you pack them away for the season and also with sheets and pillowcases. Be sure to mark them or use clear bags to see what is in them.

I keep only the linens in my closet that I am using for that season and put the others(already laundered) in a jumbo plastic tote that I keep in the attic. It saves me time when looking for what I need and at the end of the season, I just get the other linens out of the tote and they are ready to go.

You might camouflage some of your blankets by tucking them around a 'less than new' chair or loveseat, and covering with a nice afghan. Also, several of them could fit into a box kept under a bed or in a closet. You might consider storing them on the shelves of your guest room closet (if you have one) or folding them (the long way)and hanging on wooden hangers. I found that rolling towels rather than folding them saves space on shelves. A hollow ottoman will also hold several.

I find it helpful to just keep what I need on a daily basis in the linen closet. I store occasionally used things under my bed in containers. I use the bed lifts to create more room under the bed as well. We have a small house and I am always looking for ways to optimize my closets. Very interesting to read the responses.

If you have blankets and quilts that are in good condition you can incorporate some of them by hanging them over the back of your couch, loveseats, etc. I also take advantage of the very tops of my childrens' closets. They cannot reach the top shelves and so I use those top shelves to store blankets in. You can also use the medium sized totes and place them in the bottom of your closet and then stack your shoes on top of the totes.

Place folded sheets and pillow case in one of matching pillow case. Saves space and is always together.

Lots of good ideas already, but if you're short on space you can store 2 blankets between the box springs and mattress. Fold the blanket in half or quarters and place it between the box spring and mattress on one side of the bed. Repeat on the other side of the bed and the mattress will still feel level. You can even store a sheet set this way.

You can even store blankes insinde the decorative Shams that come with your bedspread. Just fold the blanket and stuff inside the sham. Put the sham on the bed. This also works with extra sets of sheets.

We've stored our extra blankets in cedar hope chest. These can be bought new, or from an estate auction/garage sale. If you don't mind the wood smell, it might be a good idea. We then use ours as a second coffee table in our living room.

Have you thought of reducing the number of blankets you need by replacing them with comforters? We use only one comforter per bed and store a summer cotton blanket for each bed in the closet. Comforters roll up like sleeping bags (I make straps to hold them out of 1" elastic). When we are using the summer blanket, we just roll up the comforter and store it under the bed, in that bedroom's closet, or sometimes just folded at the end of the bed in case it gets cold. Since we wash the comforter covers, we only have to store two fitted sheets per bed. We also have some extra blankets for guests, but only about 4 or 5 which all fit on one side of a 32" wide shelf in the closet. We don't have room for tubs so we avoid having to store a ton of stuff by using systems that require less stuff and less storage.

Vacuum sealing large comforters, blankets & pillows are a great space-saving idea. Plus, they are compact enough to store one on top of the other. Making sure they all are labeled & that if you have wire shelves, it is a good idea to put a towel down first. This makes it easy to take them on & off without pucturing the bag. The large garbage bags can easily be used with a vacuum to suck out the air & then using rubberbands to secure each bag. It will save you from buying the "Space Bags"

I like to organize my linens by room (I.e. guest room, master, kids). I take the top sheet and pillow cases, and fold them inside the bottom sheet. The problem is all of the different sizes. I live in San Diego and I just saw an article in SD home about this great new product that looks like it should work great. The article is by Harriet Schechter who writes some really helpful hints. This article is not on-line but you can check out the product at www.kangaroomstorage.com

The article Jill was referring to is here:

http://writeintime.com/col_fall_06.htm

If you have a lot of extra closet space, you can hang the blankets on large hangers at the end of the closet. Another thing is to get some of those space saver bags and place them in there and make it smaller.

Organizing ClosetJune 26, 2004
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
Woman holding linens in front of linen closet.
Organizing Your Linen Closet
Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases
Storing Sheets Inside Pillowcases
organizing a hall closet
Organizing Your Hall Closet
🎉
🎄