My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: A Predictable Mess!

At the young age of five years at the time, my daughter was a very bright, intelligent, helpful and energetic young "woman", as she would laughingly tell it today at age thirty five.

After a dinner of spicy spaghetti, I gave her the chore of wiping off the stove top, which was her favorite task. She could make this old stove shine like new.

As I sat at the table helping the other children with their after school homework, I watched this little angel reach for a green container and gently shake the contents all over the top of the still slightly warm stove. Taking the damp cleaning sponge, she wiped the powder around and began scrubbing. She scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed; harder and harder.

As I watched her struggling, realization crept in when I glanced at the container she had sprinkled the powder from. I started chuckling to myself. I let her continue scrubbing for a few more minutes until I could not contain my laughter.

Finally, when I couldn't stand it any more, I went to her and put my hand on her shoulder, turned her around and gave her a big bear hug. Then laughing I showed her the container. The two containers were Ajax cleanser and Parmesan cheese powder. Which one do YOU think she used?

Now, you must consider this: the container of cleaning powder she THOUGHT she used, and the container of powder we sprinkled our spaghetti with might look very similar in the eyes of a small child.

When I showed her both containers, she began laughing too. She said, "I was wondering why it was getting all smushy and nasty!"

ROFLH!

By Cica

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

That is so cute! I love it when kids help and learn from their mistakes instead of getting discouraged and giving up.

I know that this happened a long time ago and is a source of amusement now, but if the reverse had happened, and your daughter had eaten the Ajax by mistake, there may not have been such a happy ending. I think it is very important that cleaning agents and other chemicals be kept entirely separately from food and out of the reach of children, so that these mistakes cannot happen!

I think that's scary that the Ajax was where it could be mistaken for the Parmesan cheese. What if someone had put that on their food instead? I never realized that the containers could look so similar as to be mistaken for each other!

I'm glad it turned out to be a funny story for your family, instead of something else. I can use my own example of my 2 year old son who pushed a chair up to the sink to get himself a drink of water & drank out of the glass he found on the back of the sink, already full.....of bleach water! I never thought about a child thinking it was OK to drink & thought it was safe where it was, out of reach-he taught me a valuable lesson that day!

This story is SO funny! Thanks for posting this - I got a kick out of it!