In Memory of Skeeter (Opossum)

Skeeter was 3 1/2 years old. Possum, oh possum. I found her when she was about 2.5 inches long, in her Mama's pouch. She had been hit by a car, but 6 babies survived. I took care of them all for 3 and 1/2 weeks, then gave 5 of them to a wild animal organization, keeping Skeeter.

She loved being carried around. Hugging, eating, sleeping, and going to the drive through at Mcdonald's for her own hamburger and fries. Unfortunately, she developed cancer, very badly, and I lost her humanely. I will miss her for the rest of my life. I was her Mama.

By Deby from KS

Aww, what a wonderful story. Rest, Skeeter. My only involvement with an opossum was when I went to take the garbage out. Inside my trash can was a possum. Scared the bejesus out of me. I knew it wasn't gonna be able to get out so I laid the can on it's side. I didn't put the garbage on top of it. I threw that in the other can. I checked on the critter ever half hour or so. It took about 4 hours for it to get out. So sorry for your loss, Deby

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you so much for your condolences. I miss her very much. Check out my facebook photo albums to see all the babies I rescued, adopted and sadly are in their final sleep. Again, thank you, Deby p.S. Look under deby j.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your touching story made me cry. So sorry for your loss.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I want to be able to rescue babies in the Spring like you have. I am glad we are friends, and I value your kind and beautiful spirit towards all animals. I am voting for this post!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I had a pet opossum when I was in my late teens, named Pepper. So sweet, and I still miss her. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you all for your kind words. I am so proud that she is on here and that I could share her story.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Deby you are an angel, what a beautiful story. I am so sorry for your loss, Skeeter sounds like a very special friend. Bless you for giving her such a loving home. None of the litter would have survived if not for your kindness.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you for sharing the wonderful story of Skeeter. I am so sorry for your loss. I love Opossums. I have never had one for a pet, but I have always wanted to. Unfortunately, it is against the law in my area.

My husband and I lived in the country for many years. We saw many Opossums in our yard. We would put out food for them, and in the summer, we would sit on the porch and watch them eat. One very small Opossum came every night and we watched him grow up. We always felt that we helped raise him.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

I am so very sorry for your loss, Deby! What a lovely soul you are for having rescued those babies and found them homes including keeping Skeeter! And I am very glad your submission was posted! You have a huge thumbs up from me!

PS Sorry I never got back to you! :-( Check your ThriftyFun messages ;-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your story brought back the childhood memory of when I heard baby opossums crying near the road that passed by our house. As I looked closer I started finding the babies and their mother had been hit by a car like Skeeter's mom was. We took them to our cat who was nursing her babies and she took them on until eventually the humane society placed them with a wilderness project. It is wonderful that you were able to keep Skeeter and I bet you have great memories of her.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sweet, sweet story, what a cutie! God bless!

Reply Like this photo? Yes