Difference Between Minute Rice and Other Brands

What is the difference between Minute Rice and regular rice in the bag like Mahatma or Watermaid? I was told that rice in the bag was too starchy and unhealthy. It just seems like Minute Rice is getting more expensive every month.

Onesummer

Cooking time is the biggest difference I have noticed. I personally like bahsmati (sp) rice but it takes so long to cook I went back to the 5 minute variety. Your super market chain should have a store brand which is less expensive than Minute Rice. In Houston I shop at Kroger and HEB. They both have a good brand of 5 min rice.

Cooking time is the biggest difference I have noticed. I personally like basamati rice but it takes so long to cook I went back to the 5 minute variety. Your super market chain should have a store brand which is less expensive than Minute Rice. In Houston I shop at Kroger and HEB. They both have a good brand of 5 min rice.

Get it at Sam's; it has stayed the same cheap price for years. I would not buy it anywhere else.

Most rice is starchy and if the boil in bag stuff seems so it may be BECAUSE it cooks in a bag. When cooking rice in water(non-instant) much of the starch goes into the water, not so with rice in bag. I, like MartyD, use my local supermarket's brand of 5 minute rice and do not see much difference between it and Minute Rice brand, although Minute Rice brand claims to have vitamins added back in, enriched, in other words. I find many store brands also are labelled enriched.

I feel about Minute Rice the same way I feel about instant potatoes-Ick!

Regular rice only takes about 15-20 minutes to cook and tastes sooo much better.

And it is much cheaper if you buy the store brand.

Try it and see for yourself.

Minute Rice has already been cooked for you. It is pre cooked and then dried so you just re-hydrate to serve therefore less cooking time. You are paying for the company to cook it for you. I cook regular rice in microwave- 20 minutes and comes out perfectly.

Some rices are deliberately starchy to suit Asian preferences. Those who like chopsticks need a rice that forms gummy, sticky lumps to pick up. That is the rice used in sushi. Here in the US we like 'fluffy' rice, separate grains that don't stick together. That could be the difference you're seeing.

Minute Rice is a rather tasteless variety of rice. It is processed to reduce cooking time, but I personally believe that this also must reduce the food value and certainly reduces the taste. Regular long grain rice is easy to cook, takes about 20 minutes, and has better flavor. Basamati rice is more expensive, but you may prefer the flavor and texture. Brown rice takes a bit longer to cook, and has a slightly nuttier flavor, as it has the covering on the rice, which is more nutritious. Any of these regular types can be cooked in a rice cooker, which is even easier than making Minute Rice. Some of these are a bit pricey, but I have one that my son bought for me a discount store, that cost $4. You put in the rice and water, turn it on, and that is it. 20 minutes later, cooked rice.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 29, 2007
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
🎄
🍂