Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Curling Iron

0 0EmailFollow
Someone curling hair with a pink and black curling iron.

Hairspray and other hair products can build up on your curling iron. Cleaning your curling iron will prevent this build up from transferring to your hair and ensures that the iron heats up evenly. This is a guide about cleaning a curling iron.

Solutions: Cleaning a Curling Iron

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Oven Cleaner for Windows and Other Tips

Use oven cleaner to clean stains from windows. Spray the glass, let it sit 5-10 minutes then wipe.

Here is how window washing companies get those sparkling windows, add Joy dishwashing liquid to a bucket of water. If it is cold outside put in a little ammonia. That is all! It has to be Joy, plain Joy.

Use oven cleaner to clean your curling iron, spray when it is cool, let it sit and wipe it clean.

Source: From having teenage daughters and a son who cleaned skyscrapers!

By

Tip: Iron Cleaner For Curling Irons

Use iron cleaner to clean a sticky curling iron and flat iron.

Source: My daughter

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cleaning a Curling Iron.

Question: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

How do I get hairspray off a curling iron?

By Beverly from Oswego, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Pretty Bird01/08/2010

I use shampoo on a slightly wet cloth to clean hairspray off of things. A little goes a long way.

Question: Cleaning Curling Irons

Tips for cleaning curling irons. Post your ideas.

Most Recent Answer

By Andrea (Guest Post)10/17/2005

70% alchohol

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Cleaning Your Curling Iron How do I get hairspray off my curling iron?

Angela from AL

Oh, thank you so much. The idea for the rubbing alcohol worked great. I have had to spend about $200 in replacement ceramic straight irons in the last year because the hairspray gets so bad I can't get my hair through it. I just cleaned my iron with some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol and it came right off. Thank you for your wonderful suggestion. (08/24/2007)

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Actually Nail polish remover was enough to clean off my curling iron, but it was also just a thin coating. Pretty much any alcohol-based cleaning product will work.

Rose

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Damp cloth! Don't scrub too hard to scrape off ceramic! (02/03/2007)

Suzanne

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I wet a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and rub it on mine. It dissolves the hairspray almost on contact, and dries just as fast. (11/10/2006)

susanmaj

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I have used oven cleaner with great success! It takes off that burnt on mess!(10/31/2006)

Pam

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I just take a wet (but not dripping) washcloth and roll it around and under the clip part of the iron and then all around the barrel again and just let it set for a few minutes. I do this with the curling iron hot but UNPLUGGED! When it is cool enough to touch I just rub the washcloth around and all the hairspray gunk wipes off of mine. No need for special cleaners, just use water and let it "steam". (10/28/2006)

Grandma Margie

Tip: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

To clean hairspray from a curling iron, even teflon coated, spray a little De-Solv-It on it, wipe with a paper towel, and you are finished. I tried this after trying alcohol, baking soda/water paste, fingernail polish remover, and ammonia. It was SO easy! (10/27/2006)

By Amanda from Copperas Cove, TX

Archive: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

To clean hairspray from a curling iron, even teflon coated, spray a little De-Solv-It on it, wipe with a paper towel, and you are finished. I tried this after trying alcohol, baking soda/water paste, fingernail polish remover, and ammonia. It was SO easy!

By Amanda from Copperas Cove, TX

Archive: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning curling irons? Mine work fine, but have dried hairspray and setting lotion on them. They look terrible. Just wondering if there is a way to clean them.
Thanks

Vicki from TX

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Use what you have handiest and most easy, hair shampoo. It removes it from your hair, it will do the same for your curling iron. (06/17/2008)

By Cariboo Lady

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

My daughter has a CHI flat iron and she was told to clean it with alcohol when it is either hot or cold. She says it works. (10/11/2008)

By Lisa

RE: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Use "Totally Awesome", a cleaner found at the Dollar Store for $ 1.00 per spray bottle. It works great. This stuff is so good it will take the paint off of walls. (06/17/2009)

By kkharp