How do I dry rose petals for potpourri and sachets?

Can someone tell me the best way to dry individual rose petals that have fallen from the flower, to make potpourri? I would like to preserve the color if possible. And after the petals are dry, what are some good scents to add to the mixture?

Ellen from Dunn, NC

When your bouquets are nearly done for, use a rubber band to tie the stems together. Be careful, especially if they're roses - the thorns can hurt. Then hang them upside down to air dry - using a loop of the rubber band. When they are totally dry, seperate the petals from the stems. You can use a fragrance product from the craft/hobby store to add an scent. Follow the directions on the scent/oil you buy.

I've written about this before, but I simply must emphasize how wonderful it is to be able to have free potpourri that recycles, lasts a long time, looks good, and can be added to for free.

Barely able to afford the most needed freshener new cones solids from the dollar store , I watch them for about a week until they look nearly dried up, then remove the cone and pull off the residual freshener solid off it's plactic stem inside, which comes out sort of funky-shaped, but

dark in color. (I prefer the raspberry, citrus, cherry, or spices.)

I do two things with them after I let them dry . First I then place them in a freezer baggie and break them into pieces with a hammer.

For every single flower petal I have found, sorted or mixed, air-dried, saved in a med. Sized clear, disposable, plastic bakery container. I secondly add the pieces I broke. No mixing required, but when I find dried pods, juniper berries, tiny dried okras, dried avocado seeds. I add them to the mix creating a delightful, free, workable potpourri.

The fun comes when I find various containers for them ranging from extra large sea shells to unused covered candy dishes with the lids removed on dry days.

Granted, I must buy the dollar coned freshener for my pets' odors which are stronger than normal cooking odors, and are only in two rooms, but the fact that I can stretch the use of them, rather than to toss the dried up parts, eventually begins to smell very good with more pieces of dried freshener.

I try to keep colors matching fragrances, such as lighter oranges with citrus, or dark reds and greens with the berry fragrances.

Once in a while i will find curbside, on a box or bin, where someone tossed or set out a "spent" whole clear sack of potpourri, and that gives me a bigger and usually more colorful base with which to add my own simple mixture.

If I have an extra dollar or so at holiday sale times, I can often find bags of potpourri on sale for 75% off, nearly free to replenish whatever gets dusty after a year, still using some of the bottom parts/ pieces, discarding the dusty parts.

Note: I didn't care for perfumes or heavy fragrances, so I try to keep it as fresh smelling as possible. At one time I was adding citrus fruit peelings to a holiday potpourri only to find that it attracts flying insects, so I stopped with that idea, and by trial and error, I am satisfied with this simple program/craft. God bless you. : )

If You Just Want The Petals Dryed, Separate Them From The Stems. Place Them Evenly On Two To Three Layers Of Paper-Towels. Then Put A Few Books On Top. Wait 5-7 Days And Check Them. Go To You'r Local Hobby Store And You Can Buy Additional Fregrance Oils To Add. :)

I save all of my flowers that my hubby and son give me for special occasions and dry them. Roses and wild flowers. I leave them in the vases until they start to look bad and then pluck them off their stems and toss them in my collection bowl of poupourri! They cost nothing and everytime I look at them, I'm reminded that someone loves me very much!

June 16, 2008 Flag

Can someone tell me how to dry rose petals for sachet and potpourri? I've also started making my own essential oils. Do I NOT dry the petals for the oils? How do I do that as well. The organic market that I frequent saves their flower petals from the flowers that are not quite up to snuff and sells them for crafts like this. I've told the management there that I appreciate them doing this. I wish all markets did this. This market is the first one I've ever seen that does it!

Jenny in KY

My daughter bought a kit called Silica Gel Reusable Flower Drying Kit. I believe she got it at Wal Mart. (01/19/2005)

By jeangnome46

The easiest way to dry roses is to place them in a vase still on the stem and set the vase under a ceiling fan. I accidently found this one year when my husband gave me roses for Mothers Day. I put them in a vase and set them on the dining table, after a couple of days I noticed the water was not going down and when I touched the roses they were completely dry. They did not change color or shrivel, they looked exactly like they did when I put them in the vase. Now I make sure if I get flowers that the ceiling fan stays off until they die on their own. (02/14/2005)

By dawnmfh

Place rose petals on a microwave safe plate. Microwave at 1 minute intervals, checking after each minute. You can also do this by putting them in a microwave safe bowl but you will need to stir gently at one minute intervals. (02/15/2005)

By Jenny in KY

I have "sentimental potpourii"! Anytime I get flowers, I enjoy them while they are pretty and let them dry on their own. Once they start looking bad, I rip the petals of the flowers off the stems and place them in a decorative container. Not only do I still have my flowers that were given to me for that special occasion, I have potpourii to enjoy! I then place scented oils onto the petals and place them where I want them. (04/02/2007)

By Michelle

Dried rose pedals in the shape of a heart.
Drying Rose Petals
Crafts NatureJune 16, 2008
Making Soap Sachets
Making Soap Sachets
Scented Sachets
Making Scented Sachets
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri