Caribbean Black Beans With Rice
A delicious Caribbean favorite that is cholesterol free and made with very little added fat.
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 6 cups rice, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimento, drained
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Servings: 6 (8 oz)
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 193 mg
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 6, 2016 at 2:16:43 PM on 10.0.0.175 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us