Caribbean Black Beans With Rice
A delicious Caribbean favorite that is cholesterol free and made with very little added fat.
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 6 cups rice, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimento, drained
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot or dutch oven stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Servings: 6 (8 oz)
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 193 mg
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 24, 2017 at 2:53:34 AM on 10.0.1.11 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us