Saving Money on Babysitting

Tips and advice for Saving Money on Babysitting as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Take Turns With a Friend

If you have friends with children, take turns watching children to allow free time for for dates for the adult couples.

By Becca25

Creative Way to Pay a Sitter

Having an infant and needing to work and keep all the money that is coming in just to make ends meet means getting creative in paying a sitter.

I found a young grandmother who fell on hard times and needed a place to live. We were able to help each other out. She lives in a spare bedroom and cares for my baby while I am working. She also does the majority of the cooking and light housework in exchange for living quarters. Lucky me! I now have more time with the baby and don't have to pay a chef, housekeeper or a sitter! We both feel we got the best end of the deal and are both better off.

By K. Kahn

Babysitting Co-up

You could join a babysitting co-op. If you can't find one why not start one yourself? Just be certain that you sit down and establish some rules, as well as a method of recording the amount of time "banked" by each member, and the penalties for anyone who abuses the co-op. If you keep the rules simple, and are diligent about keeping up with your bookkeeping, this is a wonderful tool. Enjoy your children, all too soon they will be grown.

By Shari from Greer

Set Up a Credit System

Our oldest daughter has the privilege of going snow skiing over spring break. The trip will cost about $900 which includes lodging, airfare, food and ski rentals, etc. She has a job, babysits for others (they pay her anywhere from $7-10 dollars and hour) and also for us on occasion. I "pay" her in credits which goes toward this trip.

She only earns $5 an hour from us, but this goes to offset her trip expenses and she was more than happy to honor this arrangement. Apply the "credit system" for any family member who sits for you and save the money for a large ticket item.

By Diana

Save Money Each Month

I use the envelope system and save $25 a month toward baby sitting. We don't use sitters much in the spring and summer but once college basketball season rolls around, we have several games a month and that adds up to more than we can come up with out of pocket.

This system requires you to be disciplined: first you must save the money each pay period and secondly, you must not dip into it for other purposes if you hope to have enough to cover expenses when they are incurred. But isn't that what the frugal life is all about? Saving and spending to meet your families priorities.

By Diana

I split the pay with a friend when I substitute teach. She watches my girls and I give her half of what I make. It works well because she can keep her daughter with her and it costs less for me than two kids in daycare.

my friend is raising her grandbaby and I am

the babysitter...

my friend is on limited income so instead of

cash she will cook and freeze some containers

and she has some things she cooks well and it

is great for me portions are set and just pop

into microwave and yum!

we just trade out and help each other where we

can and it works for us

I do not keep strict tabs but you could and find

something to trade for

babysitter with two kids
Saving Money on Babysitting
Parenting General Parenting AdviceFebruary 20, 2009
A girl babysitting two children.
Babysitting Activity Ideas
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Child Playing at Summer Childcare Center
Ideas for Summer Childcare
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
🎉
🎄