Put Electric Blanket Under Pet Bed

I have a great way of keeping my dogs' bed warm. I have an electric "throw" blanket. I got mine at Walmart, and have seen them at Target and K-Mart too, even Big Lots. I put it on the floor underneath my dogs' bed and turn it on low. Then I put a small lightweight blanket on top of the bed. I have the ones they sell at Walmart for $6 right now. One is plenty for my 2 Dachshunds.

The electric blanket keeps the bed at just the right temperature for them on a cold night, and doesn't cool off over time like a hot water bottle would. It only costs pennies a day to keep it on. And the blanket on top holds the warmth in so they aren't warm on their bellies and cold on their backs. My babies love it.

Also, by putting it underneath their bed, it keeps them from tearing the blanket up when they are scratching around to get comfortable like dogs do. Their bed protects the blanket.

An added advantage: They aren't sneaking up into my warm bed after I go to sleep! (Not that they aren't welcome, but they love their bed). They've learned that if they get too warm, they come out from under the blanket and lay on the floor for a little while. Then when they get chilly again, they nose their way back under the blanket and onto the nice warm bed.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Great idea but how about a water proof cover for the pad, but how do you guarantee that they won't find the cord and chew on it?

Better make sure it's not a dog that chews.

My dogs have never even considered chewing on any cord. And as for waterproof cover, most heating pads come with one already. But my pets don't get it wet to begin with.

If your pets chew, then definitely this would not be an idea you would want to try. But if you teach your pets not to chew from when they are puppies/kittens, you won't have this problem.

Dog Coat for Cold Weather
Keeping Pets Warm in Winter
Pets AdviceDecember 22, 2010
A bed in a bedroom.
Electric Blanket Error Codes
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Electric Blanket
Finding a Good Electric Blanket