Shortening the Sleeves on a Robe

I have a forest green robe I got at a great sale, but the sleeves were too long. I cut too much off by mistake, and now have no room for a hem. They are exactly the right length if I don't lop off any more material! Is there any way I can finish off the sleeves? I was thinking of just overstitching a hem, but same color, right? Or not. I don't have a machine and am not a great seamstress here so piping is out, and the cost of having it done would probably make it not worth it as I got it for a song.

Any ideas on the above anyone?

Thanks so much.
Anjeena from New York

Buy a wide satin blanket binding or even a wide fleece blanket binding and sew it on. It will look like a decorative trim. You might even want to add it to the bottom hem of your robe to continue the theme. You can find blanket binding by the zippers in fabric stores.

If you could stand with a smidgen less of asleeve - you could sew the binding (or use seam binding) to the inside edge of the sleeve - & then use it as a hem - (Maybe if using satin - with a little bit showing at the edge?)

I was thinking you could use a wide ribbon to finish off the edging. Just get something thick enough (not sheer or lace) and pretty.

You could buy a small about of toweling in a contrasting, or complementary colour & make a binding for the sleeves, & make a pocket as well. That will balance the addition on the sleeves you need for the robe. However, if it already has pocket/s, go with the satin binding idea, but add it somewhere on the pocket/s as well. Either as an edging, or as an iron on applique - but hand stitch the applique as well, as 'iron-on' can be a little difficult when used on toweling, or any other 'raised surface' fabric.

Good Luck with it, and maybe you could send us in a photo when it's done, so we can see how it went.

Use hem binding or wide ribbon, you can easily sew this on by hand.

Since you don't have a sewing machine, you could hand sew a wide bias double fold tape to the edge of your sleeves. Use the same color or a complementory color.The bias tape will encase the edge of your sleeves when finished. Sew the inside first. You will find that one folded edge is slightly wider than the other. Be sure it is on the right side of the sleeve and your first stitches won't show on the front side.

To do a "Hidden Stitch" take a small stitch into the sleeve, then slip your needle into the fold of the bias tape. Run it under the fold about 1/4th inch and poke needle back out from under the fold. Next take another small stitch into the sleeve and repeat until all the way around the sleeve. Make two or three stitches on top of one another on tape only for the under side. For the top side poke your needdle to the underside and make the fastening stitches on the under side on bias tape only. Good luck.

Judy in Alabama

Judy, Why don't you turn up the raw edge of the sleeves that you cut off? Turn both sections wrong side out, make adjustments. Just like cutting lumber, measure twice, cut once. Another Judy

You could handsew some decorative ribbon....that pretty embroidered kind or even sew some rick-rack to the edge. Another idea would be to sew eyelet ruffle on the edge. Just go to the craft section at your local Wal-Mart and you can find some sort of trimming to hand sew on. Bring the robe with you and the clerks in there should be able to help you with ideas.

Seems to me the only thing you might be able to do is add some more material of the same color and material or add some lace to the end of the sleeves.

Hope one of these work out for you! Please let me know how it turned dout if you decided to try one of my ideas. Thank You!

Could you add a ribbed cuff perhaps?

You can buy ribbing material, but perhaps you have an old sweatshirt, etc... around that you could cut the cuffs off, and use those!

This is a robe, right? I would just leave it alone. Robes are for being comfortable. All these other solutions sound scratchy to me. I would just leave the edge raw and enjoy your bargin. But that's just me.

TC in MO

To All the Kind Ladies Who Responded:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Right now, I have a flu of sorts and am unable to go out. But, I will do to a fabric store or to Walmart and will let you all know how it turns out.

Not sure how to use my digi camera, but perhalps, my son in law can help me and I can put up a picture.

You are all so very kind. I am printing out all the suggestions and will probably use the easiest, as I am not very good at sewing

Love,

Anjeena

Just hem the sleeves and enjoy them too short. Now your sleeves won't get wet when you wash the dishes in your robe. Shorter sleeves have lots of advantages, and as someone else said, "Enjoy your bargain." Smiley face.

Shortening Pants or Sleeves
Shortening Pants or Sleeves
Crafts Clothing AlterationsNovember 9, 2006
T-shirt
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
Men's Shirt
Shortening Men's Shirt Sleeves
Snuggie Box
Snuggie Reviews
A woman sewing using a sewing machine.
Sewing Sleeves
🎉
🎄