Freezing a Test Portion of Food

When you are not sure how a food will freeze, freeze a small portion. Thaw, heat and taste. Everyone has their own tastes. Some foods will change textures or a bit of flavor.

I always double wrap any item to be frozen. Also, squeeze as much air out as possible. This method is only good for short term storage. For long term, I recommend a vacuum seal system. I mark any frozen food bag using a permanent marker and note the item and date.

Our family does not mind eating leftovers that have been frozen while my friends' family refuse to eat them. It is a matter of personal taste.

I know a couple who are "empty nesters" and will freeze their leftovers. To make their dinners interesting and fun, she doesn't label anything. They call them their "surprise dinners".

By mkymlp from NE PA

February 8, 2010 Flag

If you are ever left wondering whether or not a particular food can be frozen or not, take just a little bit of it and freeze it. Then try it to see if it's ok. This way you won't ruin a whole dish of something if it can't be frozen. Example: Soup. Take about 1/2 cup of the soup and put it in a container and freeze it to see if it freezes OK or not. This way, you won't ruin a whole batch.

By Chef4u from Sylvania, OH

Freeze A Portion To Test

Very nice tip! (07/16/2009)

By sarah11

Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceFebruary 8, 2010
Preparing a healthy meal.
Portion Control Tips for Diabetics
Saving Money on Pregnancy Tests
Saving Money on Pregnancy Tests
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants