Recipe for Fig Preserves

Does anyone have a good recipe for fig preserves? I would appreciate your "old" family recipe. Thanks.

By missysmom from Nokomis, AL

6 pounds figs, unpeeled

5 pounds sugar

3 lemons, very thinly sliced, seeds removed or tablespoon of lemon juice if desired.

Wash, drain and stem figs. Pour sugar over figs and let sit overnight. Cook over high heat until sugar is completely dissolved; reduce to low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add lemon slices or juice. Cook until figs are transparent and the syrup is thick, 2-3 hours. Remove from heat, pack in hot, sterilized jars and seal according to manufacturers directions. Hint:you may ad a pinch of salt,good luck.

P S. I'm a down home Dothan Al, female.

I love figs. Now if only we knew someone who grew them. This is the way my Mother made fig preserves and I miss them. Haven't had any in about 65 years now. We moved away from our fig tree when I was 10, and when all our fig preserves were eaten, they were "all gone".

I've never seen them for sale anywhere either. Guess they are just too fragile for commercial markets.

I'm the daughter of a down home Abbeville, AL Lady. :-) and so very proud of it.

Abbeville, AL is the "city of dogwood trees".

I'm saving that recipe just in case.

Thank you.

This is an old recipe, but makes the best preserves!

4 quarts figs

1 T soda

2 quarts boiling water

8 c sugar

1cup to 1 pint water

lemon sliced

In a large bowl sprinkle figs with soda. Pour 3 quarts boiling water over figs. Soak for 1 hour. Drain. Rinse in cold water. Combine sugar & 1 cup to 1 pint water. Put in big pan. Bring to boil. Boil 10 minutes, then add figs and sliced lemon. Cook until figs are clear and tender. Keep well stirred-about 1 hour. Remove lemon slices.

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJuly 3, 2010
Two figs with one cut sitting on a leaf.
Freezing Figs
Raspberry Preserves
Getting the Scorched Taste Out of Preserves
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Peach Jam
Peach Jam and Jelly Recipes