Making Crunchy Canned Pickles

What do you add to canning pickles to stop them from getting mushy? Also, does anyone have a recipe to can pickles using less salt? Hope someone can help. I canned a batch of pickles last year following a recipe. The taste was great, but they were all mushy inside.

By MrsJim from Lakeland, FL

My mother made several different types of pickles for many years and never had any problems with them. I also used the same recipes and made pickles for many years and always had really good luck with them. I wonder if it depends on the recipe, because my former mother-in-law never made really good pickles, using her family recipes.

I never had a problem, as long as I used a recipe that called for soaking them in alum; a lot of 'old' recipes for pickles have this step. Good luck!

I always put them in ice and salt for at least a few hours then drain and cook - do not put too many batches in the same pot to cook - it takes too long for them to all get hot. I had one batch get mushy this way.

Hi, place a clean grape leaf in jar with pickles, never tried it but I hear it works great. "Happy Pickling", :)

The trick is soaking them in coarse salt to draw out the water, for at least an hour. The salt will get rinsed off after. Try Martha Stweart's pickle chips: These are refrigerator pickles but can easily be canned.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal ... 003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

I put alum in my pickles to make them crunchy. Also the recipe I use for pickles is 6 water and 2 vinegar 1/3 cup of salt and everybody likes them. I also use the recipe for hot peppers.

Make sure you use pickling salt and NOT just plain table salt.

My Great Aunt Mary always added 1/8 teaspoon of powdered alum to each quart before adding the liquid. She said that was the secret to keeping the pickles crunchy.

I have a very simple easy way of making pickles. I buy Mrs. Wages pickle mix for whatever pickles you may want to make; kosher, dill, bread and butter, etc. I boil the mix to hottest temp then pour it over the pickles in the jar. I do notprocess these then in a water bath canner. The hot mix is enough to sterilize the pickles. Then I seal the lids and voila...I am done. VERY simple. I have never had mushy pickles or any that spoiled doing this.

I'd rather have a slightly less crisp pickle than putting alum in my food.

Making Homemade Pickles
Making Homemade Pickles
Food and Recipes CanningMay 21, 2009
Dill Pickles
Recipes Using Pickles
Dill Pickle on White Background
Dill Pickle Recipes
Sweet Pickles on White Background
Sweet Pickle Recipes
Sunshine Dill Pickles
Making Sunshine Dill Pickles
🎉
🎄