Add Prunes to Ground Beef to Fight E-Coli

This is a thrifty tip because it saves on medication or doctor visit(s) if you are sick. The tip is to puree prunes with just enough water to make a thick paste. Mix 1 tablespoon of this paste to each pound of hamburger. This kills bacteria. When mixed thoroughly you cannot see the prunes and you cannot taste the prunes. In fact it makes the burgers very nice and juicy.

I tried this over a year ago on my family and they never knew the difference and they loved them. While this tip is not mine originally; I have a medical background and got it off one of my sites that I go to. I like my burgers medium and now I feel safe eating them that way. I buy the hamburger, mix it with prune paste, and then use or freeze.

By Sshep

Editor's Note: I had not heard of this before but here is a press release from Kansas State University reporting the benefits of Prunes in fighting E-Coli.

Dear Sshep,

I, too, like my hamburgers cooked medium and I still prepare them this way despite the E.coli risk. I am most curious as to how the prunes kill the the E.coli. Also, if you freeze the hamburger immediately after adding the prunes, will it still have the same effect? And how long do the prunes need to be in the hamburger before the bacteria is killed?Any information you could give me would be most appreciated. Thanks! Joni

Could you use baby food prunes?

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetySeptember 6, 2004
Balloon Snowball Fight
Having a Balloon Snowball Fight
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Cooking with Ground Turkey