Perky Bra Purses

Claire Bush

Most of us have a not-quite-right bra or two loitering in our lingerie drawer. Now you can turn that scrap of fabric and lace into a fun purse that's sure to be an attention-getter!

• 1 bra - underwire and padded styles work best
  • Scissors, glue gun or needle and thread and embellishments (think buttons, rhinestones, sequins, appliques, ribbon, rick-rack, pom-poms, tassels, etc.)
  • Velcro for closure (You can find packages of pre-cut velcro at the dollar store)

Fold cups into each other. Trim away sides and back of bra, leaving straps attached to cups. Glue or carefully sew cups together. Choose a theme or color palette. For the black bra in the picture, I used white, black and red sequin appliqués and hearts, then finished the look by looping a red tassel. The blue bra's color theme was inspired by the cheerful "Acapulco" patch I glued inside. The multi-colored bra was finished with pink and green trim and rhinestones to match. Trim straps to equal length and glue together to form a loop, then embellish around the glued parts to hide any seams. You can also remove straps and use ribbon, jewelry chain, a narrow belt or even an old tie as a strap.

When you are satisfied with your new purse, carefully place a piece of Velcro on both sides of the inside top of the cups.

Voila! Instant party tote or special gift.

Perky Bra Purses

About The Author: An Arizona freelance writer for the past decade, Claire is a regular contributor to the Arizona Republic's business, career builder and community sections and is also the author of a statewide restaurant guide, "Dining in Arizona - 101 Great Places to Eat" Claire has co-authored several cookbooks and is now a working chef and menu designer in Sun City, AZ.

I thought this was a joke...but now I see that it isn't.

Very cute, thanks for sharing!

What a FUN idea for the spunky young artist type of gal who likes to go clubbing & "do her own thing"!... Also, you can't beat this Bra-Purse for a conversation starter! And, I must say, you have an awesome imagination to think of creating something like this!

But I DO have one question: How do you close it so your lipstick won't fall out? Does the Velcro REALLY do the trick, I might worry that something would fall out?

I would also think about dyeing a white bra before making a purse out of it UNLESS you're only going to wear it with a white dress & white shoes. I like the black one best, it would be pretty cool for the right gal.

I see that a DDD would be the best! very cute, thanks!

Great idea! My daughter is 15 and she loves it! The kids at school want her to make them one. Thanks

I thought it was a joke too, but it's different and cute! Wonder what they'll be doing with our panties now? Lol!

Perky Bra Purses
Making a Purse from a Bra
Photos CraftsMarch 31, 2008
a pretty bra
Craft Uses for Bras
Pink Purse on White Background
Repairing Purses
A Christmas wreath made from neckties.
Crafts Using Neckties
Making Bra Straps Shorter
Making Bra Straps Shorter