Seasoning Cast Iron

When seasoning a cast iron pan, I always heat the pan on the stove pot until very hot. Using a paper towel dipped in oil, wipe the inside of the pan, the sides, and the bottom with the oil. Let cool and wipe out any residual oil. Do not wash the pan, just wipe it with a paper towel. When very dirty, wash with soap and water and re-season.

By Marty from Tell City, IN

This is the way I season cast iron. It may take several applications to get a truly non stick surface. I wouldn't put my cast iron away without cleaning it. I wash it every time I use it and the season is not affected. I just make sure I use no abrasive pads or cleansers and dry it thoroughly before putting away.

If you have sauteed onions in cast iron, what you cook next will have a slight onion taste. I get around this by filling the washed pan with warm water and adding a tablespoon of baking soda, allowing it to set for a few minutes before rinsing.

It is important to remember that when preheating cast iron, you should never allow it to heat to the smoking point. This can destroy the season.