Does Dog Urine Stain Hardwood?

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

Dog urine does stain hardwood if it isn't sealed good. If the puppy uses the same spot over and over it can turn the hardwood black. It is best to get it up quickly, and use a good hardwood cleaner.

Yes, When our family moved into a home the hardwood was ruined by a dog. The spots were black. We tried sanding, but the stain went to deep to remove!

Yes, When our family moved into a home the hardwood was ruined by a dog. The spots were black. We tried sanding, but the stain went to deep to remove! The longer you wait to potty train, the more the dog will be set in her/his ways. They'll usually keep going back to that same spot(s). Can you buy a shaded kennel for outdoors for one month? I've seen them for under $200 including the canopy.

Could you crate your dog until housebroken? It is the easiest (IMO) way to housetrain a dog. Put in the cage & then take him outside every 90 minutes or more. If you feed him or play with him, take him out too. Usually the dog won't wet or mess in the cage. Floors are saved!

Puppies are like babies. You need to pay a lot of attention to them. You shouldn't wait a month to potty train. I crate trained mine. during the day when i was around i just payed very close attention to him and at night i would crate him. I would have to get up once or twice a night and let him out to potty but I never had an accident in the house. He is over two years old now and still sleeps in a crate by my bed. That is his room. He can go there anytime to get away from others.

2 months old is a perfect age to train a puppy. crate her for few hours at a time. pick her up and carry her outside to relieve herself. when she does, praise her. check out crate training on the internet. It works! Good luck

Two months old isn't too young to get right into potty training--in fact, it's going to be harder to let the puppy do whatever it wants around the house for a month and then try to unlearn bad habits.

At two months ( and even at three!) these little guys have tiny bladders; unless you're on it, you're going to have puddles.

A good rule of thumb is that the dog will usually urinate/defecate within about fifteen minutes of drinking/eating.

Just as if there was an infant in the house that needed feedings every three hours, your puppy will probably need a potty run just as often--even in the middle of the night--for the next four to six weeks.

After that, the dog's usually gotten the hang of it and has grown--the bigger the puppy gets, the longer it can hold its urine and feces.

If it's going to be at home alone for any period of time over three hours, consider buying a crate. They usually won't mess where they sleep--it makes training so much easier.

I agree the all the others, crate training is the way to go. It is twice as difficult to unlearn bad habits regarding housebreaking. Hardwood, carpet etc is never the same after an accident. Crate training makes a dog feel secure as well. the cost of a crate will be offset by not having to refinish your hardwood or replace carpet. Good Luck

I just wanted to thank everyone for their imput on urine staining hardwood floors. I've had my puppy since the 27th. Today is the 29th and I've already succeeded in her pottying on these puppy pads. She is doing pretty good considering it has only been 3 days. I'm going to eventually put one in a cat litter box without the cat liter and hopefully she will by then know that is where she is to go. I purchased a bell from this company where you can use their paw to pat the bell, then take them outside so they can associate and eventually do it without having to coax them. She is only 1 1/2 pounds and so little right now i just want to keep training her with the pads and then maybe if she gets big enough use the bell. She will only get to be 4 pounds. Anyway, thanks so much for all your responses.

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJuly 27, 2009
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄