Intricate wooden snowflakes are painted white and hung on the tree with silver thread. An optional touch of glitter provides extra pizzazz for those who like their holidays to sparkle!
Materials and Equipment:
- a large plastic bag or several sheets of newspaper
- several three-dimensional wooden snowflake forms, unpainted (I like to use snowflakes that are 4 x 4 inches, and about 1/8 inch thick.)
- white acrylic decorating paint
- one spool of silver metallic thread
- a small paintbrush
- two lids from used plastic containers (such as a yogurt container)
- white or silver glitter (optional)
- craft glue (optional)
- a glue spreader or Q-tip (optional)
- bottle caps or buttons, one for each snowflake (optional)
- Before you start, clear the table and cover it with newspaper or a large garbage bag to avoid getting paint on the table.
- Pour a small puddle of white paint onto one of the plastic container lids.
- Load your paintbrush with the paint and paint one side of a wooden snowflake form until evenly covered. Place the snowflake on the plastic or newspaper paint side up to dry.
- Repeat step three for all the snowflakes you wish to complete. Allow to dry.
- Next, paint the reverse side of each snowflake. Allow to dry again.
- Finally, paint the rim of each snowflake. Allow to dry.
- If applying glitter, pour a small puddle of glue onto the other plastic container lid. With the glue spreader or Q-tip, spread glue along the edges of each snowflake. Shake glitter over the glue until covered, tapping off any excess. Allow each snowflake to dry, placing bottle caps or buttons under them, or any thing that will prevent the glue from touching the table.
- Once all your snowflakes are completely dry, tie a piece of the metallic thread to each one (about 6" of thread per snowflake). Tie the other end into a loop.
- Hang snowflakes from your Christmas tree or in a window and "Let it snow"!
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
December 8, 20050 found this helpful
Cool idea...NEver thought of that but what a great idea....
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 24, 2016 at 3:38:49 PM on 10.0.2.156 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us