Browsing: Color Advice for Painting Kids Room

Color Advice for Painting Kids Room

I have a little boys room that they have dark blue headboards. What would be a good color to paint their wall?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Yellow? Tan? I have 2 little boys in one room too. Check out glidden.com, they have an area where you can test colours in rooms online. We have been using Melamine paint, it's very scrubbable.

Have fun!

Color choices depend on the size of the room, other colors in the room and how much natural light the room gets. Bright colors like yellow, orange and red warm a room, while blue, green and purple cool a room. If the main purpose of the room is to sleep and to study, keep to the cool colors. If the room is small or there is a lot of furniture making the room seem small, stick to lighter colors to help the room seem larger (if there are 6 or 7 colors on a color strip, stay to the lightest 3). A contrasting color can add visual interest to the room and tie different things together. Are there several colors in the carpet? Do the curtains have any colors that you like? It doesn't have to be an exact match, just enough to tie things together. Use a bright, clean yellow or red to contrast a blue. To save youself time and money, take several different color swatches home, tape them to the wall (some are self stick nowadays) and live with them FOR SEVERAL DAYS. Do you like the color with the lighting in the room in the evening, or during the day when the sun shines in? Colors look different in the store under flourescent lights without any furniture or carpeting to fight with. If you still aren't sure about the color, buy a quart can and paint a 3 ft by 3 ft swatch on the wall or a piece of cardboard and live with that for a few days. You also need to consider the sheen level of the paint itself. Flat paint absorbs light and hides flaws, but can make a room seem smaller and is not a good choice in rooms that may need to have the walls cleaned frequently (kitchens, baths, childrens' rooms). Eggshell and satin reflect a little more light and are more scrubbable than flat (some flats are getting much better in this category); semigloss and gloss are the toughest finishes and reflect light the best, but they don't hide flaws very well. Beyond that, use your own personal taste. While Barney purple and neon green may seem great to some people, others prefer a more conservative look. Good luck and be brave, after all, you can always paint again if you don't like it.

My first instinct is Orange, this will complement the blue head boards well. You don't have to get a pure orange, you could get one with some yellow in it, Which isn't as drastic.

I would suggest red (you could continue with a patriotic or nautical theme), tan for something more sedate, or maybe do a denim treatment. This would result in a slightly lighter blue. White trim for contrast. Use accessories to keep the room from being too blue. You could always paint the headboards if you want to avoid blue altogether.

I think a light blue would complement that navy blue. Also, sometimes a yellow or lighter color would neutralize the strong blue, and yellow would make it a bit more gender-neutral. I hope that helps!

Shannon

Do you have their bedding? This helps with the theme of the room like rain forest, cowboy etc. Usually you can pull a color from it and go one shade lighter. Sherwin Williams will order larger samples for you to tape to wall if you need it. They are 8x10, so you can get a good idea on the shades.

Thanks for the advice ! I also have two little boys that share a room I'm thinking of a dark blue but not a navy .

Psychology of Color

Find a green color that goes with the blue. Green is a cheerful and relaxing color. It is the best for kids rooms. Don't paint it a bright, power color like orange or red. Red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. Yellow is not bad but people lose their tempers more often in yellow rooms. You can break all the rules in a kids room.

We have two single beds which has a red color header, dark blue footer and the sides of the beds are yellow. The wardrobe is also of the same colors as the beds. TV trolley is plain dark blue in color. Curtains are yellow in color with colorful umbrellas made on it. Kindly tell us if we need to paint the wall/s what color combination should we use. The room is shared by the brother and sister (age group 1-5 years). Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

I have a little boy room his headboard is sky blue what would be the best color to paint his room.

I HAVE A LITTLE BOY ROOM THAT HIS HEADBOARD IS PERRIWINKLE BLUE. wHAT WOULD BE THE BEST COLOR TO USE TO PAINT HIS ROOM

I am painting my son's new room from pink and I want to paint one wall darker than the other. What are two Blue colours that would go well together without making his room feel too small and dark?

I want to paint my sons room a blue color but I would like two contrasting colors. how do I go about which shade to pick light or dark blue and what contrasting color.

I'm in the process of painting my son and daughter's bedroom that they share, light blue and green. I thought about doing the bottom walls green and the top blue. Now I want to paint stripes. What would you suggest?

my daughter's room has cream color walls i want to brighten it up by paintiing one accent wall what colour should i use?

My daughter has a blue and green polka dot comforter. I have painted 1 wall a blue to match. However, there is another shade of blue, a lite green and a chocolate brown in the comforter. I thought of painting polka dots on the remaining large wall. I am not sure if this will go well, or if i should just stick with another accent color, and if so, what color would you recommend out of the ones mentioned?

My daughter wants to paint her room blue and purple. She wants to paint each wall a different color, any advice?

I want to paint my kids room in way that could be used by both my son and daughter so please advise me.

(submitted via email)

I want to paint my kids room by colors that are suitable for my daughter and my son.

Geena

Dark blue headboards are very classic and will go with just about any paint color from beige and tan to more bold colors like reds and greens.

Consider what kind of feel you are looking to create in the room. If you want a more cozy and relaxing kids room give some thought to warm colors such as earth tones. If you want a more playful feel, consider brighter colors. Depending on the shade light colors may make the room feel cool.

I was just on a site that featured a photo of dark blue headboard and a nautical themed room for a toddler. You can find the picture here http://boystoddlerbedding.net/2011/nautical-toddler-bedroom/

I'm thinking though either a lighter blue or yellow paint color would be nice with a blue headboard.

What other colors do you have in the room already e.g. in the bedding? If you don't have bedding yet, why not find some you like and then pick a color in the bedding and use it as a paint color.

I also understand that the headboard and bedding in the photo I saw comes from The Land of Nod who also sells a coordinating line of environmentally friendly paints http://kidswallstickers.net/mythic-paint-land-of-nod/

Hope my ideas help.

Kids Room
Color Advice for Painting Kids Room
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 1, 2004
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
little girl dancing on bed in princess room
Color Advice for a Princess Room
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 31, 2016 at 11:11:55 PM on 10.0.0.74 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.