Set Timer to Limit Computer Time

This tip is about not wasting time on your computer. I found once I got my own computer just how easy it was to waste an entire day on my computer and not get anything else done.

Now I set the kitchen timer for how ever long I want to spend time on my computer and when it goes off, I get up and leave to do other things; such as housework, take a walk, work outside (weather permitting), or whatever else needs to get done that day.

I don't go beyond what the timer was set for, as I actually leave the timer in my kitchen (it is loud enough to hear in my bedroom). So I have to get up from the computer table, go out into the kitchen and shut it off.

I usually set the timer for two hours, thus giving me time to check and respond to my emails if I need to, do a little internet surfing, and even play a couple of games. The only time I might go over the two hours is when I am working on my poetry; writing and rewriting. Then I do three hours.

I have found that using my timer saves me possibly wasting all day on the computer. Doing this makes my time more enjoyable on the computer and I still get my day done.

By ladydragonfly from White City, OR

I needed that!

I need this as well. I find myself getting stuck in boredom ruts where the house work is so unappealing and my spend my time looking at useful and useless things on the internet instead of housework, taking a walk etc.

Thanks, I'm off the computer for the day, I mean it!

It all sounds so familiar! My elder child would spend every breathing second online gaming World of Warcraft and watching YouTube video, if we would not limit his time spent online. I personally find it difficult to enforce time limits, however, because when the kids are on the computer I get quiet time to myself. And when I have tried to enforce limits (usually using the kitchen timer) they ignore the timer or put up a fight when I tell them their time is over. I built a simple timer program that lets me set time limits (like 1 hour/weekday and no more than 30 minutes at one sitting). The program gives the kids audible reminders like "David, your time is over" and logs them off when their time is up. It has ended all the fighting over computer time in our house, and I don't have to nag them anymore. If anyone has the same problem, you can try Ez Internet Timer (http://www.internettimer.net). It really helps me.

If you turn on the computer 5 minutes after you wake up , and turn it off 5 minutes before sleep you are in trouble :)

Seriosly the time goes differently in front of the computer and its easy to forget everything else. Of course there are various time limit softwares but the real problem is self discipline. The time limits softwares will work mostly for your kid, who don't have other opption than accept it :)

Anyway, for time limit software check this collection:

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/computer_time_limit_software/

A woman who is working on the computer.
Spending Less Time on the Computer
Organizing MiscellaneousApril 6, 2009
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Using a Water Heater Timer
Using a Water Heater Timer
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
🎄
🍂