Advice On Painting Ceiling Dark Red

I have been reading a post about painting a ceiling red . . . I am toying with dark plum for my kitchen - any thoughts? I really think that it will be great (plus my husband "forbid" me to do it - which of course means - it HAS to be done!) - but anyone tried this one before?

tippytoad from Neosho, MO

If I were in your same situation, I'd leave the ceiling white and not paint it red or dark plum. Once it is painted and you don't like it, it will take numerous coats of white paint to change the color back to white. It's a lot easier to darker a color than to lighten it.

Marge from NY

Solid dark plum is a beautiful color but it will make your kitchen awfully dark. Laura Ashley makes wallpaper and accessories in beige with a dark plum design(if your husband "forbids" you to do it you might as well make it expensive too). This would give you the dark plum but keep the room bright. Use solid dark plum for the dining room/area. Or use it in the bedroom. Very sensual -- your husband might love that!

If you've ever painted with red, you'd reconsider. Red is THE most difficult colour to apply. It will take a minimum of 3 coats to cover.

My daughter painted her bedroom red, and we think it's beautiful, but, Wow! -- what a job.

If you're prepared to paint above your head for 3 (or more) coats, go for it, but be prepared for a lot of work!!

Use the dark plum for the crown moldings at the top of the walls, but leave the main ceiling lighter. Otherwise, you'll be saying to yourself "I'm too proud to say my husband was right but dayum it's dark in here..."

Does your kitchen have high ceilings? The only reason I could think of that I would consider a dark color on my ceiling is if I wanted to bring the ceiling down and make the room seem larger and as others have said it will darken the room.

I think you should listen to your husband, he might have the right ideal.

I agree with the folks who recommend you reconsider. Dark plum will really make the kitchen dark & gloomy. Also, I painted one living room wall a brick red - I love it, but it took 4 coats plus some more touch up. Maybe hubby is right for once?

Seems like it would be living in a cave.

We did it. You'll HATE it! It closes up the room so you feel like a troll under the bridge. Also, while it seems cool at first, it grows old REAL fast.

Don't do it.

I think you'll feel like you have a dark cloud over your head. Your ceiling will look closer to you. WE all want our ceilings to look high and expensive rather than short and squat.

I have 8 foot ceilings in my house. Regular ceiling paint has a grayish tint to it. I feel like there is a dismal cloud over my head. I'm painting my ceilings a clear white. dont forget that ceilings have a certain amount of shadow on them as light from windows rarely shines directly on the ceiling.