Recipe for Frozen Donut Horn Cookies

My mother used to make the best cookies. She called them "frozen donut horns", though they weren't frozen or donuts. It used a yeast dough, soft yet workable, with sour cream in it, and a filling that used chopped nuts, lightly beaten egg white, and sugar. She rolled the dough out, cut it in squares, added filling, then rolled them up like crescent rolls. They were just the best! If anyone has the recipe, I would be so happy and grateful. Thank you all.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

I think this is what you are talking about. Was she Hungarian? I got this from the food board on HGTV. I am not Hungarian so never heard of them but it sounds like what you want.

Please keep in mind that this has been re-written maybe a couple of times from by my GG, then Mom, then sister so there are little notes and questions marks. What I've italicized are notes to you from today.

Sift 3 ½ cups flour w/ 1 tsp. salt.

Mix in 2 sticks butter until like course meal. (probably should do with a pastry cutter or fork?) I used a pastry cutter today

Add 2 well beaten egg yolks and 1 cup sour cream.

Mix lightly until dough forms a ball (some recipes say to refrigerate it at this point, but I don't think its necessary? At least my rewritten one from my great grandmother doesn't say to do so.) I used my Kitchen aid and the open paddle to mix

Roll out on floured board ½ inch thick

Cut into squares (2x2)

Use 1 tsp filling and roll up.

Shape into crescent & brush tops with egg white

Different Filling options:

Finely chopped nuts & egg whites with a little almond extract or sugar?

Apricot jam I used apricot preserves today

Any jelly/jam

Poppy seed pie filling

My mother-in-law (from Poland) always made these for her sons when they were children and it is still my husband's favorite cookie:

1 cup butter

4 cups sifted flour

1 cup sour cream

2 egg yolks

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, add flour and sour cream. Add egg yolks, salt and vanilla. Mix well to form a smooth dough. Roll into balls the size of walnuts. Place in refrigerator overnight. Roll out in powdered sugar, about 2.5" to 3" diameter. Place a teaspoon of filling on dough; roll up and pinch ends to seal. Bake at 350 on parchment paper for about 10 minutes or golden brown. (be sure to use parchment paper or greased foil -- otherwise, clean-up is a huge chore)

1 tsp vanilla

2 egg whites

1/2 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients together.

Thank you for the recipes. They sound good. My Mom wasn't Hungarian. She was Scotch-Irish. The dough definitely used a cake of yeast. She kept it refrigerated, taking out enough for about a dozen cookies at a time. She would roll it out fairly thin, fill them, roll them up, and let them rise a little. She brushed them with lighlty beaten egg white, and I think she sprinkled on a little sugar. The nut filling was lightly crunchy, and chewy, and the cookie was sooo flaky, and not overly sweet. She filled many with the nut mixture (she used walnuts), but she also made a date-nut mixture, and did some with fruit preserves. They were soooo good. I have no idea where she got the recipe, but it might have been from a Hungarian friend. Thank you for all responses, I'll probably try them all!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies FancyDecember 19, 2010
Photo of a beautiful cornucopia with gourds, corn and apples.
Making a Cornucopia
Bread Machine Donut Dough
Bread Machine Donut Recipes
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs