Using an Old Can of Baked Beans

If you have ever found an expired can of food at the back of the cupboard, you have probably wondered about the safety of eating the contents. This is a guide about using an old can of baked beans.

February 12, 2009 Flag

How long can you keep Grandman Brown's baked beans? I have a 54 oz. can that is at least 3 or 4 years old. The can looks to be in good shape. Are they okay to use?

Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

As long as the can is in good condition (no dents or punctures), canned food will last indefinitely.

Best Answer

Kind of a long read but worth it for the info and some history about canned foods ... It will back up Belzin's answer:

http://www.internet-grocer.net/how-long.htm

Best Answer

So long as the tin is in good condition the food inside should be good. I recently found some tins in the back of a cupboard that were my mother's, they were war rations. The food was in very good condition, and we ate them. Trust yourself, if the food looks OK and smells right go ahead and eat it.

Best Answer

I had email correspondance with someone at the Allen's canning company in AR. She said that as long as the can is not in bad condition, the contents would be safe to eat ....but maybe not taste as good. You could open the can, I'd take a smell of it first to be sure no off smell, taste some and if it tastes ok to you, go ahead and use.

Those dates printed on cans these days are to tell you when it is "best by"....meaning it will taste the best if used by that date.

I know that I tried to see if Pumpkin was still alive and well in our pantry after the expiration date but no go.. so if it does have an expiration date I would check it out not everything is packed and canned as it was in the 1700 and 1800's but very interesting read on the link above I enjoyed it!

It is not worth the risk..throw it away!

racer

Great Site on canned goods,Deeli.

Years ago I had several cans of food stored and forgotten in an "Earthquake preparedness box". I took them out and because they had no dates on them wrote to each MFG. and gave them the numbers and asked that they tell me how long the shelf life was for each can.I got very nice letters back and they all said about the same thing. The food was safe to eat no matter how old IF the cans were not damaged in anyway. The food inside might not be as ( pretty in color ) nutritious but still safe. Some said 5-10 years. If there is a 1-800 number on the can give them a call.

As for the EQ box...We used it all and now have the boxes dated and replace them as used.GG Vi

Also...make sure the top (lid) of the can has not popped up. It is no longer sealed then. Top should be in pressed down condition.

What gets me is the packaged food items that don't have an actual date, but instead has a code on it, as if everybody knows what that code means. Also it would be nice if they printed the information just a tiny bit larger.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceDecember 7, 2016
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Stacks of canned food with antique labels
Using Expired Canned Food
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄