Practice "Stranger Danger" With Your Children

contest winner icon

My daughter plays a little game with my granddaughter that I think is smart. When I was visiting, she asked me to walk her to her school bus stop one morning. I did not have a clue what was coming but I was a proud mother of her grown daughter when I did find out.

As we were walking, my daughter drove by (she had on a hat and jacket with her collar turned up) and slowed down, rolled down her window and said "Hey little girl, I sure do like those pink shoes." My granddaughter looked away and kept walking. Then she said "Hey, I have a cool puppy you wanna see it." My granddaughter said "NOOOO, go away!" Then she screamed very loudly, "I don't know you! I don't know you. " At first I didn't know what to do, I was thinking "What will people think with her screaming like that?" My daughter got out of her car and they both high fived each other after a few minutes of the screaming.

A couple of days later she changed it up a bit. She told my granddaughter that she was going to shower but she snuck outside and rang the door bell. My granddaughter went to the door and asked who it was without opening the door. They went though a little game back and forth but she did not open the door.

At first I was worried that it would make her scared, but what my daughter said was she wants to make her aware. She said she changes up different scenarios but there is one main thing they do not change. They have a code word. It is their code and no one knows it. That way if anyone tells her mom sent them or mom said it was ok, she knows if they did or not.

By Notwrong

My 5-1/2 year old granddaughter and I were on our way shopping. As we drove along, I talked to her about strangers and asked her if she knew what to do. When she told me she would scream, I ask her to show me how. If she was in one room and I was in the next, I wouldn't have been able to hear her. We talked about that. By her third "practice" scream, my ears were ringing!! Later, talking to her 8 yr. old brother, I had him scream for me. He gave it his all -- must be a boy thing! It is a great idea to practice with young children. Your way of practicing the "stranger thing" NotWrong, is really great! I'll pass this idea on to their parents. Thanks.

Boy! I wish more parents played this kind of game with their kids. For sure I'll be passing this tip on to my own grown children!

I think parents should talk with their kids about strangers but you know sometimes it is not the stranger who gets the child. Your daughter's ideas sound good, but I would still not let her walk by herself. Kids are kids and they are always doing something to surprise or shock you. She may decide she does not want to play and thinking it is her mom get into the car! It is just a shame kids can not have the freedom I had when I was growing up!

I think parents should talk with their kids about strangers but you know it is not always a stranger who gets our kids. You can never be too careful. Your daughter's ideas are good but kids are kids and your granddaughter may decide one day she does not want to play that game and get into a car thinking it is her mom! kids are always surprising you or shocking you with something.

Boys Sparring in Taekwondo Class
Teaching Children About Personal Safety
Parenting General Parenting AdviceSeptember 2, 2009
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful