A Firm "NO" When Training A Puppy

My 7 week old shih tzu/yorkshire likes to "talk back" when being told no. When he is doing something like digging into the couch or chewing things we don't want him to chew on and we gently push him away from it and firmly tell him no he turns around, growls, and tries to bite. We pick him up and, again, tell him firmly. He will wiggle and try again and then, after another firm no, he usually tries to lick, almost like to say sorry. Is this somewhat normal and are we handling it the right way? Your help on the last question was greatly appreciated.

Diane from British Columbia

You need to put your dog in the submissive position on his back, and hold him there until he relaxes, growling and trying to bite you are never acceptable.

Your pet wants to lead you, dominate you, and could bite some one. Small dogs bite more offend

that large dogs, out of fear, or aggression. We don't

hear about it as much as the big dogs, because who wants to admit they got mauled by a chihuahua.

Ceasar Milan has really great Dvd's, The Dog Whisperer. Look into some dog training classes, obediance training IS worth the time and money, for everyone.

Why do you have a seven week old puppy, he should still be will his mother.

In my opinion, you are definitely on the right track. A few years ago I had a dog trainer to tell me to lower my voice to sound like a man and loudly say no. Also, most young puppies have a mind of their own but, if you are consistent with your actions, they most definitely will greatly improve. I also got my puppy at 7 weeks of age. Unless there are problems, I think that most people who breed or adopt will let them go at that young age.

One of the greatest dog training tips I use is a spray bottle. When your puppy is doing something you don't like, spray the dog. You can even add a little bit of vinegar.

I got a chuckle out of this..your pup is being like a petulent child...just keep it up, it will take one day...hopefully!

Please do NOT put vinegar in the water for spraying..it will burn the pups' eyes..what are you thinking, Trigger?

I agree. why on earth would you want your puppy to smell like vinegar and risk getting it in its eyes?

I agree check out The Dog Whisperer on the nature channel on Sundays.

Your dog is getting mixed signals from you, because you say NO and when he doesn't stop you pick him up and repeat it. He associates NO with eventually getting picked up.

Caesar uses a firm "sh" sound when a dog is not being respectful make it sound like you mean it and you are the boss. Anyone who has kids has that certain voice that the kids know you mean bussiness. If the dog does not listen to the first "sh" . Say sh and then gently push him away. This may take a few times at first, but he will soon learn that you aren't going to back down. He will give you that "she really means it look" and listen to you. Remember you are pack leader not him.

Dogs like children need dicipline.

As for the biting, when dogs bite each other they go for the neck. Caesar shows you how to make your fingers like a claw and when the dog is not listening you "bite him". This is making your claw hand and gently tap him on the side of the neck. No need to be forceful, just genlty. The dog will take this as a bite and back off.

There is always time for affection once the rules are established.

Check out Caesars show it is awesome!!

Good Luck

Use a rolled up newspaper and tap him on the nose when he does anything he isn't supposed too. Keep doing it consistantly until he realizes he will get smacked if he continues the behavior. After a while all you have to do is pick up the rolled up paper and he will stop without you having to do anything except say no. Perfectly normal behavior for a puppy.

You need to show him who the Alpha dog is, YOU! When he misbehaves, tell him no. If he doesn't stop hold him firmly by the sides of the head, lift his head up to face you and then growl at him. This shows him you are the Alpha dog, and you are the boss. This goes back before dogs were domesticated and traveled in packs. One Alpha dog ruled the pack. Your pup needs to know that it's not him, it's you who rules. Try it, it works. I was amazed when I did it to my Black Lab when she was young. She refused to let go of anything and wanted to play tug of war with whatever she got her teeth into. By the way, NEVER EVER play tug-of-war with a dog. They look at it as a battle for the top position in the pack. Remember, you are the alpha dog, not your pup.

Pets TrainingAugust 7, 2007
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎄