Crocheting a Flat Circle

I have just started to learn to crochet. I have tried to learn from a book although a friend started me off. I can crochet a circle but it does not lie flat - it's like a bowl made out of crochet instead of being flat like a mat. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to put this right please?

Mary from UK

Mary,you have to increase at the end of each round,I mark mine using a safety pin.My favotite site to learn anything is:www.about.com and find what your looking for to learn.Another site is:www.ehow.com hope this work for you.Ck.back if you have another question.I'll try to help.

You need to increase stitches while you are crocheting in rounds so the circle will lie flat.

The way you increase is by doubling on the second round; i.e., if you start with 3, then do 6 on the second round; for the third round, you increase on every 2nd stitch; fourth row, increase on every 3rd stitch, etc. To increase, you make two stitches in the same stitch. Hope this helps you - I have been crocheting for over 60 years and love it! God bless you.

The above answers are correct but you have to also make sure that your stitches are all the same tension. If you have a pattern, it should show you the gauge required for your stitches. Crocheting too tight will cause the "bowl" effect and crocheting too lose will cause the "extra" large results. Hope this helped as well.

Mary, may be your thread and needle are not matching. If you are following the book pattern then you can not go wrong. If you are doing on your own then you should increase every line either by chain or stitch then it will come flat. If you still have doubt you can write to me.

Crafts CrochetOctober 6, 2008
Flat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies Come Out Flat
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
🎄
🍂