Pit Bull Puppy Keeps Biting My Daughter

I have a 7 month old Pit Bull. She keeps play biting my 14yr old daughter. I have tried everything to stop her but she won't stop. My daughter is the only person she does this to.

Christine

You won't like my answer. I would get rid of the dog. I went to school with a girl who has lost a child when their dog turned on the child while the child was sleeping. Such behavior can be deadly. Its not worth the risk.

There is a choice to make

your daughter

or your dog.

i am sorry i agreee my son was 5 when he was mauled by a neighbors pit bull and it was awful i will not go into details but i made sure that dog was put down i dont like them i dont care what people say they are and can be mean my son and i were riding a bike when a group of 4 unchained dogs came after him and one would not let go of him i was terrified!!!!!

At one time my own dog always play bit my daughter. I then explained to my daughter that the dog thinks of her as a litter mate. She has to show the dog that the behaviour is not acceptable and to make a very loud noise when the dog tried to nip at her and say no, then walk away. After a short time, my daughter then had control of the dog as the dog learned that she was in fact not its litter mate.

Our dog is a beagle.

I heartily agree with mom, missy, and kimmy....

The dog should go now. Those things are dangerous and should never be allowed near children

My neighbor had a pit bull. I knew this dog since it was a tiny puppy and it was very loving and playful with me. Then one day it suddenly attacked me out of nowhere. An animal control officer told me that's the way pit bulls are. For centuries they were taught to fight to the death and developed some kind of enzyme in their brains, they can not control their behavior. Please get rid of the dog before it causes real harm to your daughter.

please look at your daughter's lovely face and then imagine her enduring a lifetime of trying to disguise scars that a dog who is a known "BITER" caused. or maybe worse.

please look at your lovely daughters face, and then imagine her enduring a lifetime of having to disguise scars caused by a known "bitter". he will bite her one day and her reaction could send this breed into a frenzy. please get rid of the dog before you regret it.

Get your daughter a can of breath freshner - you know, the palm-sized little cans you can find when checking out at the grocery store. Everytime the puppy - and he's still a puppy and can be corrected - tries to nip/bite her, she should squirt him right in the face/mouth. Get a strong flavor. This should startle the puppy and it should not take long before he ceases the bad behavior. I also strongly recommend that you get your puppy in obedience classes asap. He needs to learn that the humans he lives with are the "alphas" in his life, and he needs to be well-behaved. Pit bulls have the bad reputation they have because they are well built dogs for bad activities promoted by bad people. But they do not have be bad - it depends entirely on the owner. This is true for any dog. Even a chihuahua can be vicious if not properly raised. As a responsible dog owner, you should definitely put the dog in obedience school, and it is so much fun, you might want to continue with agility training and other schools to keep the dog active, interested, and out of trouble. Good luck!

I cannot believe the feedback given here. Every dog deserves to have a life and a family. Pit Bull's are NOT born evil, or born agressive. If the dog is trained correctly and given love and affection, it will NOT maul anyone in your family or around you. You do NOT -again- have to choose between your daughter and your dog.

Simply correct the behavior. If you already established yourself as alpha when the dog was a puppy, he/she should understand. If the dog considers your daughter as lower than itself in the pack, that could explain the biting. I suggest being there when the dog tries it again, and in a stern voice say 'NO'. Test if the dog tries it again, if not than it understands the pack-leader, if so than continue the treatment.

Your daughter isn't a child, she can defend herself like any adult. She should have also established herself ahead of the dog when it was a pup, this might not have happened. Please read up on what you are getting into before taking an animal into your home, it will save you and the dog grief later on. Pitbulls are especially good to study before taking one, as they require owners that usually had a dog previously.

I have read to many stories where pit bull's for no reason have gone crazy and attacked people.Since he is biting your daughter she comes first and I would get rid of the dog before he really hurts her and then you will never forgive yourself. I know its not easy but do what is the right thing for your daughter. LOL!

Get rid of the dog! We had a poodle that bit my daughter on the mouth. Thank god she didn't need surgery. The dog was given back to the breeder who gave the dog to a family that had no children. The dog then attacked the new owner and bit a chunk of his nose off. The man went to the hospital and the wife took the dog to the vets where he was destroyed. You do not have a pet you have a incident waiting to happen. Please don't put your family at risk get rid of the dog now. You can always get another pet.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how the dog has been treated,

have you called the vet? has this pup had its distemper shot yet,

I had a six month old pup that was born from a litter from my pitt bulls,

he crawled in bed with my 2 year old daughter and bite in to her neck,

my daughter would have been 18 this year

HAve this dog laid down

The dog is aggresive. Put it down now before it hurts your daughter

You do not need to have your dog euthanized you can easily correct it by having a toy in your hand and when it begins to bite give it the toy and if it continues to bite pluck the dog on the nose. if that does not work contact a professional dog trainer and ask him what else could work. just because its a pit bull does not mean its gonna automatically be aggressive. i have 3 pit bulls and none of them are aggressive in any way so for the people who believe that they need to not criticize 1 breed of dog because a lab or golden retriever could be just as viscous as a pit bull. and its peoples ignorance that continues to make this breed have a bad rep.

Forgive me, but I too agree that you should remove the dog from your house. We recently moved from a house because of the pit bull across the street. It was constantly getting out of it's fenced yard. Every time it saw my kids and I it would charge towards us. We were always able to get from the car to our house, but some times just barely. My husband though was not so lucky. He was attacked a few times. We did not want to put our kid's lives at risk.

How about training? If the pup has been taught not to play bite with others, it more then certainly can learn this from your daughter. If the biting is more then play disregard the following, but its simple if it is all that must be done is training. The owner must teach the daughter how to force the pup into obedience. My 7 year old had this issue with our 12 week old pup and now with the SIMPLE command of OFF, he listens just fine. You might want to be sure that he is neutered as this may help with aggression.

Here is a great article... http://www.laanimalservices.com/aboutani_pitbulls.htm

Give that pup a chance! APBT's get such a bad wrap :o( I'm sure she loves your whole family! :o)

Buy a book on dog training and puppy care. Teach the dog proper manners concerning your family and your property. My pitbulls have NEVER bit anyone in their entire lives.

All dogs can be trained to be "good" or "bad." If the breed mentioned in the original title was "Golden Retriever" or "American Eskimo", there would be very few demands to destroy the dog or get rid of it.

Train your dog, and if possible ( depending on age ) train your own children how to show their dominate status. Hold the puppy down until it stops struggling, remove it's food at times the puppy is eating( giving it back, of course, soon after ). As I said, buy a book - but these are simple examples of showing the dog you are in charge. Do NOT play tug-of-war games, nor allow it to "nibble" on the tips of your fingers. Be clear it is not allowed with a loud clap of your hands, and if necessary, a pop on the nose or rear. Don't hurt your puppy, but make sure it understands "NO!"

However it turns out, whatever it's behaviour - it is because it's been either "allowed" to behave that way, or distinctly "taught" to behave in such a fashion. Do not destroy that dog - you have no right to end a life. Find a No-Kill shelter if you feel that training a puppy not to bite is beyond you.

For all them people who are saying, get rid of my dog is not going to happen. The reason she is doing this is because she thinks my daughter is a play thing! She is a lovely dog, and she does sometimes not play bite with my daughter. She is a lovely family pet!

There is NO NEED to get rid of your dog! NONE. Your dog needs some basic training and more exercise. Is the "biting" at all aggressive or is it more of a pulling secure type of motion?

Mouthing is common for puppies to do when they are stressed or feeling insecure. They pull on whatever's in sight like a baby using a pacifier. If your daughter at all appears nervous around the dog; get them both into training together. A basic obedience will be fine. You don't want your daughter to develop a fear of dogs. The only way to avoid that is for HER to be able to confidently control the dog.

Has the dog ever broken the skin? It's easy to do with puppy teeth but you can tell if it's intentional or not. How does your daughter play with the dog? You need to watch for the clues with an unbiased eye to see what's really going on.

Things that seem harmless when puppies are very small become a great nuisance when the dog grows. Did you ever play with the dog in a fake pulling or fighting type manner? The dog could just be following what they believe to be normal play for your daughter because that's what they were taught to do. They don't know it's wrong now unless you tell them...calmly and confidently without anger or fear.

If the dog doesn't get enough exercise (at least 30-45 minutes of a very brisk walk every day, minimum) the dog could be picking up on some excitement of your daughter and letting out their playful side and nervous energy.

The dog also needs to be have consistent and calm discipline when they do something wrong like nipping at a family member. How is the dog doing now?

I had a pitt who kept biting my little cousin and this was the only person she would bite. I found out that my cousin was hitting and teasing my dog. Tthere is a reason why your dog keeps biting your daughter, she has to be doing something to make the dog bite her.

I have a one year old pit that will try to nibble on my fingers and that of my kids. I can tell him to stop and he'll just start nudging me with his nose, but with my kids, he just kept getting rough. I asked my vet what to do, she is pro pit, and she suggested diluting cayenne pepper in some water and putting it on your hand. The dog wont like the taste of it or the affect and should stop. This goes for chewing also. If you take a little of the diluted solution, and rub it on the dogs nose (it doesn't burn, try it) and whatever they smell doesn't interest them any longer.

I own a pitbull and he is the most loving and affectionate dog that I have ever seen. Actually my vet said that there are a lot of other dogs that she would say bad things about before she would say bad things about pit bulls. And guess what most of them are small dogs! She does not have to choose between her dog or her daughter. I am pretty sure that she said the puppy was play biting.

It is not the breed of a dog but the way that they are brought up. Any dog can turn on you depending on how they are treated. What really worked for us is every time that our puppy would bite we would put the pepper shaker up to his nose. He didn't like the smell of it so he would stop. So give that a try and don't get rid of him. He deserves a chance too just like any other living thing. That is not the solution to get rid of him that is just adding to the problem and the stereotype.

I am so sorry about your friends child, but the the pitbull should not have been loose in the house unattended while the child was sleeping. It is a shouted fact among pitbull owners and lovers that the most important thing to remember about these dogs and frankly all dogs for that matter is they should never go unattended. Your friend should have been more responsible. I have a 12 week old pit puppy and he is the sweetest thing in the world. We went through the nipping stage. I have a 13, 10, and 4 year old. He saw my younger children as pups too. Pups play together this way, by nipping and biting. A loud "yip" by your daughter will alert the puppy that he is being to rough and it should stop. This is how the pups themselves monitor their behavior amongst eachother. It works!

Hello, my husband and I just got a 4wk old puppy(pit) for our family. We have heard so many horror stories about pits, and we need some advice from someone that has one! If anyone would be so kind, and give us some advice, we would greatly appreciate it. We love our new puppy, but I will admit that I am a bit concerned, due to all of the negative stories we've heard!

I have been around pits that were raised to fight (my grandmas neighbors had them chained up in their yard) so for a long time I believed the stereo-type. Then I had the privilege of being shown pitbulls that were true family dogs. If raised and trained properly, they can be the best dog you have ever owned. Saying bad things about a dog because of its breed is no different than judging someone because of their race. It truly boils down to how they are treated for their first few years on the outcome you will have as they get older.

I had seen pitbulls that were raised for fighting when I was a child. I had grown up with a fear of them. Then I had the privilege of meeting more and more pits that were raised as family dogs. I still will not let ANY dog be left only with a baby or small child, but I have now owned 3 pitbulls myself and have never had them hurt anyone. They (ALL dogs) will bite when they are puppies until they are taught not to (in a positive way).

To judge a dog by its breed is no different than judging someone by their race...maybe people need to think about that before they say anything

My pit is 2yrs old. I adopted her from the humane soc. When she gets excited she likes to mouth my hands. I truely love this dog but this form of play is dangerous. Can someone please help me to help her. Thanks and God bless.

I have a 2 month old pitbull puppy who is constantly biting as well especially when he gets hyper. I'm hoping he will get over the stage. But I love him!

Barring medical reasons, it is a matter of training.

When the pup starts to nip, pull the body part in question away quickly and give a loud "ouch". Then give the dog a chew toy and reward him/her for chewing on it. My dog I recently adopted was a bit mouthy at first, and this technique obtained from an obedience trainer worked great.

Just remember that a dog is an animal, his/her natural instinct is to control the world with their mouth. You have to teach them otherwise.

Possibly, you are seen as master but your daughter may not, so pup thinks it can play rougher with her. It might be a good idea to have your daughter take it to a puppy class to assert her role in the family.

*fot the haters* I was mauled by a cocker spaniel when I was 8. Cocker spaniels aren't bad, his owners were. I repeat - HIS OWNERS were to blame - as in - it was their fault.

Take responsibility, dont blame the dog, train it.

There is some great advice in this thread, but please please don't listen to the haters. Scary stories about "I knew a guy who knew a guy who got bit" don't belong here, honest advice about how to train a perfectly good puppy does.

Good luck with your pup and give it a cuddle for me.

Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite
Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 7, 2008
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Mother Daughter Tea
Planning a Mother Daughter Tea
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄