How Long Before Peach Pits Sprout?

I have two peach pits I will be planting. How long will it be before I see any sprouts?

Janice from Bristol, CT

In my Permaculture course, I was told certain hard pit seeds needed to pass through the digestive system of an animal and be exposed to stomach acid. I had a bunch of cherry seeds once and soaked them in vinegar (5 percent acetic acid, and our stomach acid is also about 5 percent so I figured that was close enough). After a winter, I got tired of the seeds and threw them on the compost pile. Almost every one sprouted, and it was a lot.

Here is one answer I found online:

Now bear in mind, the resulting plant will probably not produce the same type of fruit from which your original pit came. That is because most store-bought fruit is the result of hybridization and seeds from hybrid fruit, seldom will produce progeny that resemble the parents.

1. Yes, allow the pit to dry for a day or two.

2. No, do not crack open the pit.

3. Plant the pit in a pot about 2 inches deep (in good potting soil) and place the pot inside a plastic baggie. Make sure the soil is moist but not soggy.

4. When the seed has been exposed to the temperatures of the refrigerator, bring the pot into a warm area and allow the pot to sit for at least 60 days (keep it watered) and germination should occur. If you want to remove the seed from the pot and plant it outdoors, why bother with the fridge? You can plant the seed outdoors in the fall and it should germinate in the spring and that would make things a lot simpler, wouldn't it? I hope this helps.

Here are some other links with information:

Good luck!

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsDecember 8, 2008
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Several nectarines from the farmer's market.
Storing Nectarines
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
small boat on a lake with green algae on top and sides
Removing Algae from a Boat