Product FinderConsumer Advice

Where Can I Find a Free Doughnut Cutter?

Does anyone have a doughnut cutter they would be willing to part with or know where I can get one for free? I've been looking for one, but can't find any free ones without out having to go out and spend money on one. Thanks!

By Jennifer from Topeka, KS

My late Mother never used a doughnut cutter and she made lots of doughnuts. She had a cutter but threw it away because she felt the doughnuts were too big around. She cut them out with a tumbler (water glass) and when she was ready to drop them into the grease she poked a hole in the middle with her thumb and forefinger. Worked real good.

In the olden days people just cut donuts and bisquits with the bottoms of cans (clean empty cans with labels removed). A tuna can would be about the right size and for the hole in the middle maybe a shot glass.

Thanks for the ideas. I will try the finger thing! Never thought of that.

Have you heard of Freecycle? You can sign up for it in your area. They give away things to keep them out of the landfill. You can also request things you are looking for. Someone could have one sitting around, and when they see your request, offer it to you. Most of them do require that you make an offer first. But we all have something we can give, even your newspapers after you read them, people need them for their pets, etc. Just go to freecycle.org and sign up for the one in your town.

It's all about keeping things out of the landfill. I offer my empty medicine bottles after I fill up a bag of them.

When we had our mobile food service, I used a pineapple can with both ends removed, and for the center I used a plastic cap from a butane container. There are also small-diameter caps on many aerosol products. We only made a dozen at a time, so it was no inconvenience at all.

You can always cut your dough in thin strips, twist two together and have a twisty. Or cut wider strips and have a long john.