Homemade Chocolate

Does any one have the recipe for homemade chocolate? I had it years ago and it's lost. It contains powdered milk, icing sugar (perhaps called powdered sugar in the USA), cocoa, and solid shortening (called 'Copha' here). You can also add coconut. Those are ingredients, but the proportions I've quite forgotten! Obviously its not as smooth as commercial chocolate, but it tastes good, is fairly economical, and satisfies that "Must have chocolate" urge.

Thank you,
Ellie from Melbourne Australia

Thank you for your responses so far, but No.. I don't mean a drink, hot chocolate mix, I mean it's block chocolate. After you mix it and smooth it into a square tin, or whatever you are using, you put it into the refrigerator and sets solidly into a block of 'chocolate'.

Elliecat.

Possibly you are looking for what we call "fudge". Some recipes use cocoa to make it, others use chocolate chips. Most on-line cookbooks have some version of it. I'd almost bet that if you check Thriftyfun's archives under recipes.....and then perhaps candy..... you'll find a recipe right here! If you can't find one I'll dig mine out for you. Best Wishes!

Hi Ellie!! I got this recipe off of a site called Discuss Cooking. I hope it's the one you're looking for.

TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE:

125g copha

125g pure icing sugar

6 tablespoons cocoa

4 tablespoons full cream powdered milk

pinch salt

Sift icing sugar, cocoa, powdered milk and salt into a basin. Melt copha over gentle heat, add to dry ingredients. Mix until smooth and thick. Pour into square cake tin to set, then cut into squares. Mixture may be doubled, and dried fruit, nuts, coconut or rice bubbles can be added for variety.

This was posted on the other site by Daisy http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/chocolate-1167.html#post4541

Thank you everyone, especially Luvyabye.. that's the one that I was looking for!

Ellie

how did the question of wanting to know how to make ''Homemade Chocolate'' turn into how to make ''Hot coco drink ? But thank you to luvyabye for the recipe ...

by Luvyabye

TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOCOLATE:

125g copha

125g pure icing sugar

6 tablespoons cocoa

4 tablespoons full cream powdered milk

pinch salt

Does anyone know of an alternative to copha? We have a child that is allergic to coconut as well as corn, soy, rice? Since I'm fairly new to the kitchen what is pure icing sugar and where do I find it?

Thanks.

I think there was a mix up of people thinking I wanted a hot choclate drink recipe, when what I really wanted was the block chocolate recipe posted by Luvabye. I'm not sure what would be an alternative to copha. We get two grades of icing sugar here (Australia) pure icing sugar, and soft icing sugar, which is the pure icing sugar, mixed with I think.. cornflour. In the States I think it's called 'confectioners sugar'.

Ellie.

From the actual block chocolate recipes I've seen so far, I've got the feeling that American chocolate isn't very...pleasant. I think block chocolate needs cocoa butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and you can add vanilla or cinnamon to it as well for a different flavour. I don't know the exact proportions, but butter of some sort is definitely required, or the chocolate won't have that creamy, thick texture.

Editor's Note: Baking chocolate is not sweetened and is used as a base for confections. We do have tasty chocolate here but baking chocolate isn't good without additions.

thanks i really needed a chocolate recipe for school. many thanks adele thanks again and again forever

Mix together

1/2 c.cocoa powder

dash of salt

1 1/2 c.powdered milk

2 T.malted milk powder

Hi!I was doing research on homemade chocolate and I found this thread. I'm from Malaysia so, according to the net, copha's only available in Australia. I was wondering, is the copha that's used in the recipe compulsory, and if so, what's the substitute for it?

Everything I truly need and want are only sold in Australia T_T *sigh* Thanks in advance!

<b> Editor's Note:</b> Copha is a brand name for a vegetable shortening made of solidified coconut oil. It will stay solid at room temperature. Try substituting coconut butter. Vegetable shortening is poor, flavorless substitute.

Ingredients

4 1/2 oz (125g) vegetable shortening (Copha or solidified coconut oil work fine)

4 1/2 oz (125g) confectioner's sugar (pure icing sugar)

6 tablespoons cocoa powder

4 tablespoons powdered milk

Pinch of salt

Method

1. Line a square cake pan with grease proof paper.

2. In a small saucepan, melt the vegetable shortening over a low heat. Sift the icing sugar, cocoa powder, powdered milk and salt into a bowl. Pour the melted shortening into the sugar mixture and mix until it becomes smooth and thick.

3. Pour chocolate mixture into the prepared cake pan and flatten out the top using a spatula or the back of a spoon. Use a skewer or the blunt side of a knife to press indent marks into the chocolate while it's still soft. This will help you to break your chocolate into nice squares once it's hardened and set.

found here

http://www.savvyhomemade.com/homemade-chocolate-recipe.html

September 7, 2006 Flag

How do I make homemade chocolate for my kids?

Spencer

Answers:

Making Homemade Chocolate

We like to use cocoa mixed with 1-2 tbsp. sugar combined, buy Nestle's Quik, or use Hershey's syrup added to milk. (01/27/2005)

By Jo

Making Homemade Chocolate

If you mean hot chocolate mix - here's our favorite
It works best if you have a food processor or blender.

Whirl in blender or food processor until very fine. Use 2-3 heaping tablespoons per mug of boiling water. Top with mini marshmallows an whippped cream. This stores well in a tightly covered jar. Recipe doubles well if they like it often. (01/27/2005)

By Annie

Making Homemade Chocolate

Home made hot cocoa mix from Heloise.

For one cup of cocoa add 4 T. of the mixture to a mug & pour in 6-8 oz. of boiling water. Stir well with a cinnamon stick or peppermint stick or add marshmallow or whipped cream if you wish.

I used to make hot cocoa like Jo(guest post)using hot water instead of milk for my husbands folks, that's they way they liked it. It tasted more like hot chocolate that way.

Hot Chocolate

Grete chocolate & combine with sugar,salt & water. Cook 3-5 mins. over direct heat. Add milk. Sweeten to taste. Add vanilla. Serves 6

Beat with a Dover beater. ( I don't know what that is) But guess a whisk would work. This recipe is from my Aunt's 1935 The Household Searchlight Recipe Book I have lots of recipes with Chocolate so if these are not what you are looking for let me know. (01/29/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

Handmade Chocolate Bars with dried fruit.
Homemade Chocolate
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesSeptember 7, 2006
Chocolate Rolls Recipes
Chocolate Rolls Recipes
Chocolate Toffee
Chocolate Toffee Recipes
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
🎉
🎄