Keep Seedlings From "Damping Off"

When trying to start seeds for this spring, if you have trouble with your seedlings dying after they come up, called "damping off", run a small fan on low. That way if you overwater them, you won't have the trouble with mold growing and your seedlings dying. I also use a heating pad on low under my pan that holds the seedlings.

By laniegirl from IA

The fan has the added benefit of producing stronger, stockier seedlings. I plug mine into the same timer that controls the lights over the plants.

Thanks for the tip, I just started some seeds & have occasional problems with damp off. Also use STERILE soil mix. I use potting soil w/o problems, but some people use equal amounts vermiculite, perlite & potting soil. I stopped using the perlite& vermiculite b/c I'm trying to save money.

I have just recently started gardening so I am a baby when it comes to experience and I did something when I started my seedlings and they never died or few did. I bought a dish pan, peat pots, cheap soil from dollar store but held the moisture well, a water bottle, and a shoe bag (one that zips up, not see though but like a frosted)to let some light through, misted them every day, started wonderfully, and stayed alive for a long period of time. My guess is that it acted as a little greenhouse but it has never steered me wrong and they did really well. I have done the fan too and find it helps. All of them sat on the inside of a window that had majority of sun during the day. Few Damping Off and alot grew very well in the garden.

aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 3, 2010
child looking at a plant sprout
Tips for Planting Your First Garden
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
Cricket on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Crickets Outside
Transplanting Seedlings
Transplanting Seedlings
🎄