AdvicePets

Funny Kitten Feeding Habit

My two kittens have recently started to scratch the tiled floor next to their dishes while they are eating. It looks like they are digging in their litter box, but it has never led to them using the floor as their toilet. Does anyone know what this is about?

DebC

Mine is doing this too -- just a couple of scratches around her dish after she's done eating. I thought maybe she was "saving" it? I'd love to hear what a kitten expert will say.

I have two cats and they both perform strange variations of this ritual.

The first one scratches around the bowl to "hide it", at least it seems that way, he has food agression and does not like to share.

The second cat paws while she is eating or drinking like she is nursing....she was never weaned properly and I think this is a habit from that.

Its the instinctive action to bury the food when they've had enough - in nature they would return to it when they're hungry. Buring it hides the smell and makes it harder for scavengers and other cats to find/steal it.

Regards

Jo

Our cat "Bitsy" was raised on a bottle from birth and is now 2 1/2. He cleans around his bowl of food and also around his water before and after he eats. He watches me do everything and tries to even clean the front of the stove, dishwasher, and windows. I think his is just copying my habits of cleaning. As you know, they are just copy-cats.

My cat "Bitsy" was fed by bottle from birth. He cleans around his food and his water before and after he eats . He watches me in everything I do, and I think he is just a copy-cat doing cleaning like I do. He even cleans windows, front of the stove, dishwasher and cabinets. He doesn't know he is a cat. Now if I can just put a mitten on him for dusting.

The cats are "burying" their food until they are hungry again. Normal behaviour nothing to alarm you.