What Are Pekingese Like?

I heard from a friend that pekingese are very snappy. My roommate Aria is going to bring a pekingese named pepper to our apartment soon. Does anybody who owns one have any advice? Are they loud? Are they energetic? Are they rough?

Sabrina from VA

Pekingese

I had a male (unneutered) Pekingnese from the time he was 6 weeks old until he was 13, at which time he had to be put to sleep, much to my extreme sorrow. He was a perfect little gentleman - slow to respond to strangers but, once he knew you, he loved you. I gave him stuffed toys and other small toys to chew on and play with - loved to ride small beach balls! I personally think that most dogs are the result of the way they're raised - if they're raised to be aggressive and stand-offish, they will be - if they're raised to be friendly and polite, they'll be that also.

I have been around several peks thru the yrs. My experience is that they are not at all loud, energy level is dependent on Pepper's age but sedate compared to say, a Jack Russell, and I agree that it will only be snappy if raised or allowed to be that way. Peks are usually very loving - unfortunately most small dogs get bad press for being snappish. When introduced to Pepper, offer him your hand to sniff, scratch UNDER the chin, never reach out over the head of this or any strange dog - that's a sign of dominance/aggression. You'll earn a friend by giving Pepper time to get to know you, just like you need time to love him. Good luck! bbb

I have a seven year old pekingese, Sugar. My three children says she is my only child. She is our darling. She barks at cats, they drive her crazy walking across our yard. She loves to sit beside me and look out the window. She has a brass bed setting in front of the window and a velvet pillow she sits on like the Queen she is!! She is a very loving dog and friendly. ""

Google "Pekingnese" or try www.petfinder.com for info

My stepmother has a female pek. She is the sweetest thing in the world and loved me from the first time I met her. They are very playful and smart. She would wait till my stepmother got thru waxing the floor every week and take off from the living room and start sliding once she hit the kitchen floor till she hit a wall, go back and start again. We have poodles and a shih zsu and I thought the same thing especially poodles but they are extremely loving and sweet animals. Its all in how you treat them.

I have a female peke that is 15 years old. She is the boss of us all. lol

She is one of the most loving dogs I've ever been around.

I also agree it's the way they are raised as to how they act. We had a chow that loved everybody, but she was raised that way. My peke is so old now she does'nt see or hear well but she still gives love and kisses. You will most likely fall in love with Pepper and want a peke of your own. lol

I wish you joy with Pepper.

Well I am taking care of a pekingnese for a friend, his name is pogi and he is a absolute total darling! He is playful,but he never bites hard. When he sleeps he snores in his sleep which is sooo cute!!! He is just a total gentlemen and not tempermental at all. He's a laid back kind of guy.

I had a Pekingnese from he was a pup till he was 9. he wasn't neutered. We had to put him down due to the vets wrong examination mistaking heart disease and hypertension pulminary disease for allergies...so it went undiscovered. BUt up until his sudden illness he was the best...waited for you by the door. He also was there everyday and when I would say "Ok Bandit I'm home, what do you want" he would roll right over. Also he trained himself to go the bathroom in the bathtub...no matter where he was he went to find one if he had to go...also he would be by your side if he sensed you were sick or sad. We put him to sleep last week, because the pain was to much and we loved him very much

Pekingese are very protective, intelligent and are very good with children. However, if someone hits someone else he or she gets very upset. They won't bite but they'll show you all there teeth. There very loving pets.

Pekingese are very nice dogs. They like to have their own way if you let them. Very quiet, very devoted to who ever owns them. They like to run and play. We have a pekingese for 14 yrs. now. They are very loveable, very easy to house break, I think any way, we had no trouble. They don't live with you, you live with them. lol. But they can be stubborn at times. You will fall in love with the pekingese

Pekingese are kinda silent, most of the time. They are energetic and adorable.

I have pekes as pets for forty one years, and I love the breed. At the moment I have three pekingese as pets, and I love them to bits.

The Pekingese dog is a Regal pup/dog.It is very playful and what is mine is Mine! They are very protective of their family. They do bark at strangers and neighbors. Easy to housebreak. They like to show off, and ride in the car. Mine likes to wake us up barking and will bark till on or both are up. Needs a fenced in yard!

i had abeautiful peke whos name was ling ling he was good with mmy grand children but anyone strange he would bite i tried to get him out of this but couldnt he was a beautiful dog and i miss him so much