Mock Canned Pineapple

• 4 qt. zucchini (diced)
  • 1 can unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1 1/3 cup bottled Real Lemon juice
  • 3 cups sugar
  • Pineapple flavoring (if desired)
  • Ad

Mix together and simmer 20 minutes. Fill hot clean jars; seal. Put in hot water bath for 20 minutes for pints or 25 minutes for quarts.

By Robin from Washington, IA

If you boil it for the 20 minutes you do not have to do the hot water bath, just pour into hot sterilized jars.

I had this recipe already. Mine calls for a 48 oz. can of pineapple juice and only 1/2 cup of lemon juice, same amount of sugar (3 cups) and the pineapple flavoring used in my recipe was 2 small packages of pineapple jello. My recipe called for 19 cups of zucchini.

By the way my recipe makes 10 pints at a cost of about $3.50 CDN for the whole batch. (That assumes that the zucchini was free). It can also be frozen instead of canned in jars.

Once canned, how do you use the "Pineapple?" Do you eat it plain, use it in cooked desserts, as pie filing, ...???? Please let me know, because this is a recipe that I might like to try.

I never knew you could make something like this! It sounds delicious and I think your method ensures safety. Thank you.

How to use it...

I used the mock pineapple as a substitute for real crushed pineapple in sweet and sour sauces. I think I also used it in carrot cake instead of crushed pineapple.

As far as safety...there is no need to hot water bath all the jars IF you have already boiled the mixture in your pot for 20 minutes and also then have placed it into hot sterilized jars.

Food and Recipes Recipes FruitNovember 3, 2005
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipes
Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Freezing Pineapple
Canning Pineapples
Selecting Good Pineapples