DishesCleaning

Burnt Oil In a Pan

Category Dishes

OK, I'm in trouble. :(

I was frying some tortillas in vegetable oil when I got a phone call and as you can probably guess, I forgot to keep my eye on the pan and the vegetable oil dried up and I burned the pan. To make matters worse, I tried to scrape the burnt spots off with a plastic spatula and I melted a little bit of the spatula onto the pan.

I have to get it cleaned up because it's my girlfriend's favorite, almost brand new pan that she got for Christmas this last year.

The problem is that I have been glancing at this site now for a few days and I have tried: Vinegar and boiling water, baking soda and dish soap, boiling water and dish soap and I'm currently trying the dishwasher detergent soaking over night technique.

If, the dishwasher detergent does not do the trick, does any one have any almost guaranteed tricks that will work for me?

Thanks!

MrPlazmaDude from Colorado

Editor's Note: What is the pan made of? Does it have a non-stick surface?

Fill the pan halfway with water, add 1/4 cup cream of tarter, bring to a boil and let simmer. You should be able to see the burnt particles lifting loose. Clean as usual.

ust lemon juice and scrubb and it will conme rite off

My first question was the same as the editors. If it's non-stick, you may actually be trying to remove burnt teflon. If it's actually oil/food, the dishwasher detergent could actually eat thru the teflon if left overnite. (hope it didn't) I'd like to know if the lemon works. If not, I wonder if using oil would work (I wouldn't suggest heating it though! :D). GOOD LUCK!

USED RUBBING ALCOHOL WITH HOT WATER WITH DISH SOAP SO YOU WONT SMELL THE ALCOHOL LET SIT OVER NIGHT AND WIPE CLEAN . GOOD LUCK MY BOYFRIEND DID THAT WITH MY NEW PAN TOO OH DID I SCREAM HE BURNED POP CORN AND THE ISOPROPYL RUBBING ALCOHOL WORK,,

Try BAM -- it works wonders on baked-on items and other things. Does a great job of cleaning anything. Reading the cream of tartar response reminded me of a Thrifty Tip I found a long time ago that really works -- cleaning stove burners with cream of tartar and baking soda. You just make a paste and leave it on there to remove the debris. For your purpose, I would probably add a little water and the same ingredients and try heating it. At this stage of your pan, I would try anything!! Mucho good luck for both you - and your girlfriend's pan!!

I would suggest trying an oven cleaner. (Like Easy Off.) They are formulated to work through burnt on spills and splatters.

Good Luck!

you might try putting a new or used fabric softener sheet in the pan and filling to cover the sheet of water and let stand a few hours or overnight... I know it works with stick on food in casserole dishes... good luck or if all else fails, you might want to keep this one for you and buy another one for your friend....

I know I'm about 2 years late, haha, but I just had the same problem few hours ago. Hope you got the pan clean but I just experimented and found using water about half way up the pan then putting in a bit of bi carb, maybe 1/4 cup, just a rough guess. It is really helpful.

I did the same thing to my sisters pan. I was trying to make fried ice cream and let the oil get too hot and now there is a burn mark on the pan. I have tried all the things here and so far nothing has worked. My boyfriends mom told me to try an SOS pad so that's my next move.

Well, I was making chimichangas and forgot the oil when I was called out of the kitchen. Oh my - 200 dollar pan stainless steel my hubby's boss haha....burnt oil! So I tried the over cleaner and it is working beautifully! Thank you, thank you, thank you :). Jill in Iowa! You are awesome!

Thank you all so much. I had burned some EVOO and onions to my favorite stainless steel pan a couple of months back, and had given up hope. I was able to get the onions off and am looking forward to trying these methods go finish the job, I had lost hope. I will post back to let you know what worked.

Related to the baking soda paste is a possibly even better solution to use a generous paste of wood ashes straight from the fireplace with a nonabrasive scrubber. With a lot of elbow grease and patience, that works wonders. Before there were stores with shelves loaded with all kinds of manmade chemicals, this was a common cleaning/washing agent.

Gumption and a scourer will get off burnt oil.