Bargain Plants at Garden Centers

Have a green thumb and a tight budget? I have found that if I go to garden centers in the big box home improvement stores on the day after their vendors go through the plants, I can find some real bargains. I have bought some puny plants that were in planters which cost more than the plant was reduced to!

Generally all the plants need is a little water and some TLC. I bring them home, put them in a shady spot, and keep them well-watered for several days before planting them out.

The stores usually have them on rolling carts toward the back of the garden section. If you don't see them, ask someone. The folks in the garden center are happy to show you to help get them out of there.

Don't be afraid to ask if they will reduce something that is less than vibrant. A little clipping, plant fertilizer and watering can revive most annuals which are droopy. I have been doing this for several years and have lost very few plants. At the price I got them for, that didn't amount to much money.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Hi Sandy, I do the same thing and the best deals are at Lowe's.....about 1/4 of my 1/2 acre yard is planted in what they considered "cast-offs" and I have a beautiful garden for very few dollars invested.

We call them "pitty pots" and Lowe's is definitley the best place......but don't tell everyone.

I found a really pathetic looking ficus for 5 dollars at one of those stores. It looked like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. It is now about 12 feet tall.

Hi, what is the big box home improvement store and how do you know the day after the vendors go through the plants? Thank ya, Pamela.

Man planting in a garden.
Saving Money on Gardening
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJanuary 15, 2009
Plant Sale
Saving Money by Shopping End-Of-Season Plant Sales
Golf Bag with Pool Cues in it
Uses for an Old Golf Bag
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎉
🎄