Getting Rid of Weeds in the Vegetable Garden

I have a small garden, but it is loaded with old weeds with large deep roots from the neighbor, and other weeds. How can I kill the weeds, but still grow veggies in the same dirt. If this is not possible what can be done? What weed killer can you sprinkle on lawns to kill weeds, but not the grass, although there isn't much anymore?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Peggy B from Philadelphia, PA

For the grass I would use a weed and feed. It will kill the weeds and feed the grass.

For the garden, I would lay a very thick layer of straw over the weeds, it will keep the weeds from getting sunlight, and after a while, they will die.

If the weeds are out of control, and can't be dealt with by cultivation, you could spray them with Roundup. This will kill everything. Then you can start anew in a new growing season and keep ahead of these weeds with hoeing and hand picking. Anything that kills weeds will kill veggies. And who wants to eat veggies that have been sprayed anyway?

If your weeds are very tall, mulching them is not the answer. Use mulch after you have hoed them out.

You must see if your library system has a book by author Patricia Lanza called Lasagna Gardening. Amazing! She will tell you how to deal with those weeds without using toxic products. Great book.

I agree with the other posts, I had a similar problem. Sprayed with Roundup and had to spray again about 1 month later to kill off new baby weeds. Its not ideal especially as I like organic gardening but I had no choice. Do not compost the dead plants. Hoe/till/dig the whole area and leave over winter (not sure if you have harsh winters but we tend to in the uk!) for the frost/rain to breakdown and then rake in the spring and you should be ok to plant. You need to be looking long term as oppose to short term for your gardening. Also apply as much compost/mulch as you can lay your hands on before planting working this into the soil as much as possible will produce fantastic results and then keep composting and adding this to your garden in the autumn or spring and you will see a massive improvement both in quality of the soil and the goodies which you grow. Happy gardening!

For your lawn? why have one? I got rid of him 12 years ago using a mixture of textiles ie gravel/slabs/planting and have never looked back. Is this possible?

When weeds are bigger I take a small knife and then gather up the whole weed and cut it off at the base by the roots. after doing this you can cover the ground with something that will not let any light through, like black plastic, layers of newspapers, etc. then weight it down. The weeds will not grow if it don't get light. I've done this and it works for me.

It is one year later and I thought the question sounded familiar, then saw my name! lol. Thank you guys for your input. It seems the one main solution that I never did was, make it dark somehow where I weeded! Will try that. It must work, lady next door put a black trash bag over a stump of a tree she didn't want and it indeed stop its growth! Thank you all.

I use weed be gone by Specified. I buy it from Lowes. I pour the bottle into my sprayer, it is great, and it doesn't kill your grass or flowers or bushes, even if you get it on them. I love it. You will love it too... CL

Weeding the Lettuce Patch
Controlling Weeds In Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJuly 15, 2010
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎄