Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Hairspray for Lice Prevention

If you find lice to be going around at school, a good way to safeguard your child, or to try to, is to spray his or her hair with hairspray. You can also use hair gel or any other kind of hair product. The lice are repelled by the chemicals, and they rather like clean hair that can be penetrated. So don't react by overwashing!

By Susan from Essexville, MI

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By glinda (Guest Post)09/29/2007

One more suggestion with lice prevention: NEVER try on hats that don't belong to you. Even new hats may have had a recent visit from someone infested. You can't always SEE them, so make a habit to encourage your child not to try on hats that are not theirs, and I also would not allow my children to share hair brushes or hair accessories. We had alot of problems one time, and when we started these new rules, we never had problems again....

By glinda (Guest Post)09/29/2007

When my kids were little, and we had a problem with re-occuring infestations, because of "Friends" that would not treat their children, I was told by a nurse, frequent treatments are very dangerous to your child. Because the lice treatment is a pesticide. Keep that in mind with the re-treatments over and over. Also, I learned, that putting the girls hair up, then spraying it with a hairspray or hair gel that has alcohol in it, keeps the little critters away. I recently had a problem dealing with children with lice, I kept my hair pinned up, and sprayed with a good hair spray with alcohol in it. I had no trouble..
Recently someone told me that rinsing your hair with Original Listerine works also. (I tried this and beware of your eyes, it is strong scented!)....

By Sue (Guest Post)09/28/2007

If you do get lice, you can kill them easily with any oil. Just soak your head with baby oil, vegetable, even mayo, cover with a shower cap for a couple of hours and your good. They suffocate!

By Cyinda [214]09/28/2007

ALSO: If your kids or you ever actually get lice, use "NIX" brand of lice removing hair conditioner, as it's the only lice treatment that KILLS THE EGGS (nits) too. This way, you usually have to only use it once, not again & again, like the other brands, because it kills the flea-eggs or nits. Men, Don't forget your beard & facial hair.

If I still had small kids, I don't think I'd use NIX "every 30 days" because it's full of nasty chemicals & who wants nasty chemicals on their kids scalp!

---> BEWARE: I once got lice at the thrift store from trying on hats! If you really want to try on a hat, first look in VERY carefully for any nits or lice... You may not even be able to see the tiny little buggers, so use care when trying on clothes that used to belong to others, or clothes & hats that others may have tried on only minutes before you! Don't be paranoid, but just think first.

By Weavre Cooper [10]09/28/2007

If you're really worried, there's an even more effective approach. When my kids were little, we lived in a neighborhood where several of their friends seemed to have lice all the time. They were playing outside together, being kids, with lots of exposure. I hated the very idea of lice, and so washed their hair once every thirty days with Nix lice treatment shampoo. I did this not because they ever got lice--they never did--but because the package said it had a 30-day residual effect. I figured that washing with it every thirty days gave no opportunity for the lice to move in--and it worked. Even with lots of close contact with kids who did have lice, my kids never ever got them. We moved out of that neighborhood a couple years later, my kids grew older, and it's a nonissue now ... but if I were ever again in a situation where I knew there would definitely be exposure to lice, I'd probably still go for the Nix.

By (Guest Post)09/28/2007

That lice shampoo is serious stuff! It should only be used as directed. You wouldn't want to harm your child by overusing it or using it when not needed!! I would go for the apple shampoo or the hairspray....it's safer for them.

By Weavre Cooper [10]09/28/2007

By michaela [1]09/28/2007

the lice hate apple shampoo I make my daughter use it every fall through spring and for two years straight she has not got it even when it went wild through her school.........use the cheap stuff like Suave it doesn't have to be expensive!!!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.